Chapter 10

"What do you mean Mike has the Thunderbolt?" Pat asked Courtney after she told him over the phone.

"Exactly that. It appeared to him here at the shop. You know that this means that we can't deny him a spot on the team anymore. And while I know the Thunderbolt is dangerous, you can't take it away from Mike anymore than you can take my staff away from me. The pen will always return to him." Courtney said.

"I know. But you and I both know that there's a difference between the staff and the Thunderbolt. At least you don't have to worry about the staff backfiring on you every time you use it." Pat said.

"Still, I think you, Mike and the Thunderbolt should talk. Have him wish himself to the JSA headquarters in Civic City so you can talk this out, especially since it sounds like the Thunderbolt's powers might be useful in more ways than one." Courtney said.

"I'm only agreeing to that because it's the fastest option we've got. But make sure he's specific about his wish. One wrong word can get him in a lot of trouble." Pat said.

"Don't worry, we'll make sure he's safe." Courtney said as Pat hung up.

"That sounded fun." Carter said.

"Just found out that the Thunderbolt for some reason decided to pick my son Mike as his new partner." Pat said.

"Okay, I can understand why you might not be thrilled about that, but at the same time, you have to remember that the Thunderbolt can only be partnered with someone who's like him. So you should ask yourself why your son fits that criteria?" Carter asked.

"Something to ask the Thunderbolt when he and Mike get here." Pat said and no sooner did he say that did pink lightning appear out of nowhere and drop his son on the ground before taking the form of the Thunderbolt.

"Well, this is a surprise. Stripesy and Hawkman." Thunderbolt said and Carter chuckled.

"Thunderbolt, good to see you again." Carter said as Pat rushed over to Mike's side to help him up.

"Yeah, that was awesome and that is so how I'm going to school everyday." Mike said and the Thunderbolt grinned.

"You got it. Johnny was never that fun." Thunderbolt said.

"Yeah well, before you start making any plans like that, I want to talk to the Thunderbolt alone. Carter, can you give Mike a tour, since I don't think that I've ever shown him the full place before." Pat said and Carter nodded as he led Mike out of the room, leaving Pat alone with the Thunderbolt.

"You know that stepdaughter of yours showed me your big robot. I think that if Starman had seen that, he likely would've promoted you to senior sidekick or something that would've made you happy." Thunderbolt said.

"Very funny. Look, I'm glad you're back in action, but why pick Mike as your new partner? I hate the fact that Courtney is able to use Starman's staff, but at least she has some right to that, since it was her father's. But why Mike?" Pat asked.

"You know the rules. I can only be partners with someone who's like me. Someone who feels completely and utterly alone." Thunderbolt said and Pat sobered up.

"I thought we were getting better about making Mike feel less alone." Pat said and Thunderbolt sighed.

"All he wants is a chance to prove himself. He wants to be a member of the JSA. And I know you have concerns about me, but you know I'd never intend for anyone to get hurt. Well unless they deserve it." Thunderbolt said and Pat chuckled.

"Fair enough. Look, I'll let Mike keep the pen under one condition." Pat said.

"Name it." Thunderbolt said.

"Your first priority is to keep him safe. If things get too bad, you get him out of the line of fire, though he's not going into the field until he has the same kind of combat training the others do and you're not wishing that up for him." Pat said and Thunderbolt nodded.

"I'll do my best, but you know the rules, he wishes for it, I have to grant it." Thunderbolt said.

"I know which is why Mike is not making any major wishes until he masters the basic ones." Pat said and Thunderbolt nodded in agreement, though Pat was sure he was going to regret this, but what's done is done.