Chapter 20

Hector Hall was currently trying to do his homework in his room when he heard a strange voice saying Nabu in his mind in a male whispered voice.

"Who keeps saying that?" Hector asked before his attention was finally turned over to his new helmet, which he hadn't touched since it had appeared about a week ago. In all honesty, after all the things his parents had told him about the helmet and Dr. Fate, he was a bit nervous about putting it on for the first time, since he didn't know what would happen. However, there was no time like the present to find out and since the voice was becoming too loud for him to ignore, Hector knew he would not be able to get back to his homework until he finally put the damn helmet on.

"Okay, you win." Hector said to helmet as he got up from his desk and walked over to where he was keeping the helmet and took a deep breath before he placed the helmet on his head and suddenly, he felt it begin to glow, and suddenly, the glow took the form of a strange golden man with a long white hair and piercing blue eyes floating in front of him.

"Who are you?" Hector asked.

"Hello Hector Hall, I am Nabu, a spirit of the lords of Order and you are my new host as the newest Dr. Fate." Nabu said.

"Nabu. My parents never told me about you?" Hector asked.

"Really, they never told you about the source of the helmet of fate's immense power?" Nabu asked.

"Honestly, I don't think they knew a whole lot about it." Hector admitted.

"That's fair. Even my host does not know the full extent of my power." Nabu said.

"Why do you keep calling me your host?" Hector asked.

"Because Hector, the helmet allows me to take over the wearer and turn them into my host as Dr. Fate. Or at least it used to. Back before I realized that's why I kept going through users. Apparently you mortals don't like not having control of your bodies." Nabu said.

"Wow, how long did it take you to figure that out?" Hector asked, wondering what he'd gotten himself into.

"Regardless, now I'm more willing to compromise, since I've found that a willing union with my host is far more preferable, so I will offer you a deal." Nabu said.

"What kind of deal?" Hector asked him.

"In the past, once my host put on the helmet, I never allowed them to remove it. However, I have come to accept that this arrangement is not exactly ideal for my host, so instead, I'd like to offer up a partnership. I will allow you to live your life, but in exchange, when you wear this helmet, I am in control." Nabu said.

"Not so fast. Why would I agree to let you take full control of my body during a life or death situation when I don't even know you, let alone trust you yet. Besides, I get the feeling that if you could use my body without my permission, we wouldn't be having this little talk would we?" Hector asked and Nabu groaned.

"Unfortunately, you are correct. Before I can officially take hold, you must give your consent to establish a complete link." Nabu said.

"Okay, so here's what's going to happen. If I agree to be your host, I get to stay in control, the whole time. You can be a voice in my head, like a mentor or guide, but I'm not going to let you do god knows what to my body. At least not yet. Once we've had time to build real trust between us, then maybe we can renegotiate." Hector said and Nabu had to admit that was not unreasonable.

"I will agree to this on one condition. Should things become too much for you to handle, even if we are working as one, you will then allow me to take control until the issue has passed." Nabu said.

"Deal." Hector said, since this would be an arrangement that benefitted both of them.

"Okay then, time to teach you how to be Dr. Fate." Nabu said as he began to complete the linking process.

I don't know a whole lot about Dr. Fate, so I'm not sure if this is accurate to how that whole process works, but for the sake of the story, pretend it does, since that's how it's going to be in this story, just because I feel like the helmet forcing Hector to give up his entire life feels kind of like child slavery. No reason for that to be included in here, plus, it might draw suspicion. And remember, none of this canon aside from a majority of the characters and Hector is not a canon character. At least Canon to the show.