Chapter Three

*Crystal POV*

Waiting around was never my forte, so being stuck in an airport due to a snowstorm was far from enjoyable. With all flights grounded, I made a call to the agency to update them on my situation. It was my first time outside of Jamaica, and I was anxious to make a good impression in hopes of extending my contract. This opportunity at the prestigious Double Tree Hotel was a rare chance, and I was determined to seize it.

Securing the job had been a challenge, but my bachelor's degree gave me an edge over other applicants. Reflecting on events from over a year ago, I had learned a valuable lesson: never trust anyone. I had come to rely solely on myself.

Lost in my thoughts, I was interrupted by a whisper of "Nana." Startled, I looked around and spotted the source: the cutest little girl I had ever seen. With her light skin and curly hair, she resembled a "coolie" back in Jamaica. She seemed scared, clutching her teddy bear tightly.

Approaching her gently, I knelt down to her level. "Hey there, pretty little lady," I said softly. "Are you lost?"

She nodded, hugging her teddy bear tighter. When I asked her name, she whispered, "Chrissan, but my daddy calls me Chrissy."

"I'm Crystal, but everyone calls me Cris," I replied, noting the similarity between our names. I decided to help her find her grandmother, walking around with her and even enlisting the help of security and the receptionist. Despite our efforts, we couldn't locate her grandmother, so we waited together, playing games on my phone.

As the storm cleared and flights were set to resume, I hesitated to leave Chrissy alone. Suddenly, I spotted a woman frantically searching and crying, fitting the description Chrissy had given of her grandmother. Pointing her out to Chrissy, she ran towards her, shouting "Nana."

The woman, hearing her granddaughter's voice, turned just in time for Chrissy to leap into her arms. Grinning from ear to ear, I watched as Chrissy introduced us to her grandmother, Laura Green, a woman of beauty and class, reminiscent of Michelle Obama. It turned out that we were all heading to California together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NB: Coolie - is Jamaican slang for Indian, Syrian, etc.