Chapter 10

With a small fire roaring, we all huddle around it in order to get warm. Rhydian has been unusually quiet; it says a lot considering he doesn't generally keep his mouth shut for long periods of time. I don't push him, though. Draxum, like always, has talked non-stop about this ghost town. His theories, stories, and questions are all spoken aloud. It even pulled Rhydian out of his mood.

"I mean, look at it," Draxum exclaims, "this village looks so much like ours, except we have a big stone wall that protects us. Maybe that's why we've lasted as long as we did." I slightly tilt my head and consider his theory. Huh, he might not be so far of from the truth. Quikas only successful because of the Gate being destroyed for who knows how long. I wonder who did that-what did that. "A stone wall?" Rhydian raises his eyebrows and looks at me, waiting for me to elaborate.

I suppress a grin. "Walls," I correct, "Our village used to be protected by the Gate of Stormhold. Unfortunately, it was destroyed and far from it's glorious days." He stares at me with a blank expression. "You both lived in the Capitol?" Draxum looks just as confused as me. "The Capitol of Stormhold," he looks between me and Draxum, "It's the most powerful city of Aragon. Political leaders often met and held meeting there. Not to mention, the Capitol stored ancient items for Aragon." I think back to Arathmus. Our Elder Chiara was extremely distressed about her disappearance. Maybe this is why.

"Most of," I pause, "the Capitol is in ruins now. Quikas invaded and destroyed a lot of the homes before becoming dormant." Rhydian stares at the fire after hearing what became of his old world Capitol. Draxum shakes his head. "Not true!" he interjects, "You blew up the cottages near the south wall." He points at me and Inferno. Rhydian's eyes widen in disbelief. "You did what?"

I dismissively shrug at the statement. "It was an accident," I begin, "I'm not entirely sure what got into me, but I ran towards Quikas and ended up fighting it. Inferno just appeared in my hand in place of an old metal sword." I can feel Rhydian stare at me intensely. "It all just happened so fast. One moment I was fighting for my life and the next, a blast of light tore through it and obliterated the cottages near me." The events that transpired that night are still a mystery to me. I still don't know why Quikas attacked my village in such a terrifying manner. What made it wake up? What so important about that night that caused many changes in our fragile shell of a life?

Draxum nods many times. "I saw it!" he confirms, "I told Val that it looked like a white knight made of light." I glance at Inferno, thinking back to that night. It's only been three days and I already feel so different from then. "What of your families?" My eyes slowly move towards Draxum. "Surely they wouldn't have just let you go." Protect him...

I see Draxum begin to fidget nervously with his hands like I do. "My family was taken by the Mi- Quikas. First my mum, then my sister and my dad," he takes a shaky breath, "I would've gone after them if Val wasn't there. Even though she didn't want me following her around, she cared for me." I stare blankly at the fire while Rhydian's gaze bores into the side of my face. "I don't think I'll ever know what my father saw out in the fog that made him walk in, but I know it's all Quikas' fault that they're gone." Silence falls between all of us. The only sound we hear is the crackling of the fire and the distant noises that should scare me, but I am actually grateful for it. 

Soon after, Draxum lays down and eventually goes to sleep. I can imagine what I look like to Rhydian. Emotionless. Blank. Draxum has never spoken about his family before. Not to me, at least. I never pressured him and I never asked. I only ever knew Jayda, not her daughter or her husband. My presence in the village was always a cause for suspicion. It took years for someone to simply meet my eyes. And, I guesss I didn't know how to relate. "Valencia," he touches my shoulder, "what about your family?" I turn to look at him. "I don't have any family," I simply say. Rhydian studies me, looking for something. "So, you're an orphan?"