Chapter 28

My mind swims as those memories fade to black, snapping me back to the present. That night set many things in motion. I know it. I feel it. My eyes wander down the nomad's cove to those gathered along the watering hole. Water flows down between the rocks, making dozens of small waterfalls, turning into their main source of water. The crystal blue waters contrast against the dark rocks. It's right out of a painting. This place has been protected by sorcery and preserved. So where exactly could the others be? There's no way any intruders could break through-which I doubt there'd be any. I'm sure they were the last mortals to roam Aragon. A headache forms at my temples. It's one question after another these days.

I sense someone walking towards me and I leave all thoughts of the masquerade and the nomads and this cove as Draxum plops down next to me. "How're you doing, kid?" I bump my shoulder to his. His dark skin glows under the evening sun. Subtle muscle tones have begun to show in his upper arms. He's changing before my very eyes. "I'm doing good," he brightly smiles at me, "It's all been such an amazing adventure, Val. I never thought I'd ever see the world like this." He spreads his arms wide at the far expanse. "Yeah, it's pretty incredible," I laugh, not looking out at the scenery but at his awestruck face. "We haven't had the chance to talk much since we left the compound. Other than feeling awestruck, what else is going on inside that big head of yours?" I shake his head with my hand, resulting with a swat of his own.

I twist my body around to face him waiting for him to talk. I don't think I remember the last time I've sat down with Draxum like this. I always kept things to myself even before this life. Draxum is someone I'd rather not share that trait with. It's draining. "It's all so different, Val. Our whole lives we've lived in a lie, in a prison. The world outside of Stormhold is nothing like I thought it would be," he plays with the grass in thought, "There's just so many things that I don't know." I lick my lips and nod. I know exactly how that feels like. "Well, what do you want to know?" I ask him, softly. He looks up from the grass. "I want to know why Quikas is after you. I want to know why the world is so beautiful and deadly at the same time. I want to know why the elders lied to everyone about everything," he meets my eyes, "It's like they wanted the past to disappear. If no one knew truth, then history would've been rewritten. Why would anyone do that?"

I'm left speechless. I sometimes forget how observant Draxum is. He's quiet but he hangs to every word that's spoken. I nervously swallow, carefully selecting my words. "Well, there are many who believe that the truth could cause more harm than good. That by doing so, they are protecting the order of things. Those people are usually very influential and very dangerous. But whatever happened in the past," my left hand slightly twitches, "I'm sure the elders had a good reason to hide it." My lies taste bitter as they leave my mouth. Looking into Draxum's eyes, I lied to him. Most importantly, I'm keeping it all from him. I don't know how long I'll keep up this act. I look away from his face, down to the others. My mind wanders back to my encounter with Quikas.

Fate truly is a cruel thing. One can never just flip a coin and claim coincidence, even if I did believe it to be true. I can't help but wonder what lies in store for this band of nomads. In truth, I didn't know what to make of them. I just knew with one look that they were the best people to take care of Draxum, in case anything happens to me. Our journey up north is one that I will eventually have to face on my own. "Do you think that Inferno will be able to bring my family back?" A blank expression falls on my face. That's right. If I finish this, his family will be able to return. Except one. "My father won't even recognize me! And I'll be older than my sister, imagine that. I bet my mum still treat me like a baby." Gods. My fingers anxiously fidget, avoiding crackling any of my knuckles. I should say something, anything! Prepare him for what will inevitably happen. Say something, Sa-Val!

"Would you stay with us?"

His question shocks me into more silence, of which he mistakes for confusion. "Yeah, staying with me and my mum when we get back home. I'm sure father won't mind, and you can tell my sister the stories you've told me." I am truly at a loss for words. How can I take his hope away? Dim his happiness because of my own vices? But I cannot lie to him. Not another lie. Not another broken promise. I cannot make promise that I know I won't be able to keep. "Draxum, I-"