Chapter 48

The wind thrusts me through the gate into a dry wasteland. Among all the change that I have seen with my very own eyes, I should've known that this would be the only place that wouldn't.

            The mountains of Northstrong have a long and complicated history. I feel the rest of my group arrive one by one. They take in the miserable sight as I do. It was once said that the mountains of Northstrong were built up by giants. No man has seen the top of these ridges. And if they had, we would never know. They were never seen again. These mountains went by many names and held many lore. None that I believed. Gawain walks past me over to the edge and looks down at the distance.

            "What the hell?" he exclaims.

            I smile. That reaction is most appropriate. Like with the ground below, the mountains are barren. It is rocky and the air is dry. These clusters of rock reach beyond our realm. Each of the mountaintops are obstructed by thick veil of stratus clouds. "Welcome to Northstrong," I spare a glance over my shoulder, "or as it was formerly known as, Valley of the North Giants." All their reactions vary but awe shines through each of their eyes. I seldom forget that they had never strayed from their migration patterns. They had never seen the world from this height before. I wish I could share this moment with them, but my memory of this place is bittersweet.

            "Giants? There are giants up here?" Goosey gently clasps my arm. Her vigilant gaze flits across the vast horizon. "No," I laugh, tapping her hand reassuringly, "they've disappeared long before my time. I made sure before I traveled up Mount Cailleach the first time." Goosey silently repeats the 'Mount Cailleach' while the others stay close to the edge. I leave them to their thoughts-even pushing Goosey to them-and venturing away from the overlook.

            My steps maneuver around the uneven ground. I don't remember the details that led me here back then, but I do remember what I was carrying with me. I remember the cargo that I had strapped on my back. It was the only thing that gave me the drive to walk the entire way and climb the mountain.

            I find the arch-like structure made up of three distinctly shaped boulders. When I came across it the first time, I thought it looked exactly like a door. I found it suitable for what I would be hiding. My eyes close as I take a breath to relieve my nerves and step through. There's a moment of resistance before it recognizes me and allows me through.

            When I open my eyes, the world had transformed into something different. Something wonderfully beautiful. The sky is jet black with a stark white cluster of a constellation shining down on me. There's a homely breeze that runs along my skin. I slowly walk closer to the mounts that seem to grow from the dirt. Three. There's three of them.

            Rest well. Do not miss me. We might never meet again.

            The names slowly come into view. Iona, Finn, and Gideon. My family's ashes are resting peacefully underneath this dry soil. I squat down and graze on the stone slabs that I carved myself with so much love. "Forgive me," I sit in front of them, "I haven't been able to visit, but I'm sure you know why I couldn't." My eyes land on Gideon's grave. More specifically, at what I left behind. Buried deep into Gideon's grave is an old dagger. It's rusted and small. The pathetic thing has no use at all. I grab the hilt and pull it out with tremendous force.

            "Thank you, big brother, for keeping this safe for me." I stash the dagger in my bag. "But I'll be needing it back. As it turns out, the world needs something stronger than simple humanity. It needs a bigger monster, who would've thought?"

            I subconsciously dust his tombstone with my hands. "I hope you weren't watching me too much. There are things I prefer that you didn't see." The white stones shine with my brother's favorite constellation permanently etched in the skies. "I must go now, but I'll be visiting more often now. I promise." I wish I didn't have to go so soon, but if I stayed here for too long the others might wander too far in Mount Cailleach and never be seen again. Anyone can easily get lost in this region. Some have even gone as far as to call these mountains cursed. I probably should've mentioned it before I went wandering by myself.