Chapter 30

Then

It's been days of quiet unrest, not just in Aragon, but in myself as well. After the masquerade ball, the kingdom has heard many stories about that night. Mordred's court is now bound to stay within Aragon's walls and no one other than the caravans and mercenaries are allowed inside and out. Ygraine believes it's to keep our resources in stock. In all fairness, that's not exactly what I've been focusing on. Within all the political chaos and social unrest, I have been trapped inside the memories of that night.

The hand I sliced off that night belonged to Ygraine's perverted cousin. A Royal member of the false King's family. She told me about it the next morning in her room. I felt my blood drain from my face, horrified at my ability to do harm. I apologized so many times at her, but she would just shrug without a care in the world and say, "My cousin was vile to any woman that stood in front of him, including me. He deserved what you did to him." Even if she was right, it still feels wrong to me. What I felt that night wasn't just justice, it was bloodlust. I planned tell Em about it that very same morning, but I wasn't allowed to leave the castle. No one, not even the guards, are allowed out of the premises.

So, here I am, continuing my role as a lady's maid, following the same routine. I've been cleaning Ygraine's room for the last hour. These days have been hectic for Princess Ygraine. Her duties have now included keeping the lords and ladies of the court entertained during their stay. And keeping them from causing panic about the plague that took out more than half of the King's garden. The groundskeepers haven't been able to sustain life after that night. It's the most curious thing, they say. But I know better. Whatever happened to that garden was somehow connected to me. I know it was. The thing is Ygraine's story about what happened doesn't make any sense and she agrees.

As far as I know, Ygraine didn't see anyone else in the garden or noticed anything out of the ordinary. Except for me sneaking around the castle. She still hasn't asked me what I was doing or why. The passing minutes add more weight onto my shoulders. I hear a slight crack come from my knuckles. I didn't even realize I was cracking my knuckles.

I stare at them, as if they had a life on their own. My forgotten tasks lay splayed on the floor, and I leave them there as I hear Ygraine burst through the doors. "I am sick of entertaining Mordred's court," she throws her tiara onto her beige chaise near the fireplace, "If it were it up to me, I would just dismiss them forever." I weakly smile up at her. "I cannot have been that bad, my lady." She glares daggers at me, making her way deeper into her chambers. "Do you know how many times they politely suggested to paint my hair? Or asked about my possible nuptials? Oh! Or how many times they've made snide comments about my brother?" She kicks a pillow away from my grasps. "Your brother? Mordred?"

Ygraine ungracefully plops down onto her bed, a grim expression on her face replacing her anger. "Not Mordred.." she whispers, "Arthur. They spoke of Arthur." I hesitantly sit myself near her. "Arthur was a good king, princess. And an even greater brother, I'm sure of it." She fidgets with the material of her pale blue dress. Ygraine's eyes meet mine, a soft smile on her lips. "Arthur was the best brother," she says to me, "When we met, he immediately accepted me as his sister. And even though we didn't know each other long, we trusted each other with our secrets." Gideon's face appears in my mind as she speaks of Arthur. I also shared all my secrets with him, every single one. "He told me everything until the end." My eyebrows scrunch at her words. "Arthur knew that there were those who opposed his rule. I just never thought that our own brother would be the one to have led that campaign."

A thought pops into my head. "My lady, I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say." Ygraine sighs and twists her body towards me. "If I tell you everything, then you must swear never to discuss this with anyone else," Ygraine leans forward, "Swear it, Samsa." I grab her hands and say, "I swear it on my namesake, Ygraine." She exhales in relief, her shoulders sagging in the process. I adjust my maid's skirts, tucking it underneath me, readying myself for what is coming. "Arthur knew about his death months before it happened. He began planning for the worst, searching for something powerful that would protect him. Arthur sent his trusted Knights and friends on this quest, but, if I remember correctly, many of them did not return alive." Dread starts forming at the pit of my stomach. "With every bad news came a new version of Arthur. A more violent and desperate Arthur. After a while, a lot of the members of the Round Table left his side. They claimed that Arthur was bordering insanity due to his obsession to finding whatever it was that he was searching for. Even his wife left him, made him a fool amongst his people." I know this story. I've heard different versions from the mouths of Lancelot, Merlin and Nimue.