Chapter 27

TW: violence, assault, and gore
Then

The ballroom is now filled with noble lords and ladies of Mordred's court. Every single one of them masked and hidden. Their eyes seem to bore into me as if they know I am an imposter. Realization hits. I scan the room, full circle. Mordred invited a lot more people than he claims he did. Guards are also posted at each door, window, and wall. What are you up to, Mordred? Who are you afraid of? The thought follows me as I make my escape.

Calmly, I make way towards the closest exit. A guard, heavily armed and uniformed, intercepts me. "M'lady, I cannot let you pass." I flip my hair over my shoulder, discreetly glancing over my shoulder. "Whyever not? I am just seeking fresh hair from the gardens," I tell him. The guard shuffles his feet, unsure of what to do about the situation. I must add pressure. I touch my forehead and feign a sway. "Oh," I exclaim, "I feel faint." I drop myself onto him as he catches me and directs me away from the festivities. I silently smile. Men are so predictable. They seem to love to save damsels in distress, it's in their nature. Most of them don't realize that they're being played and if they do, they're too late. The women win.

"The gardens are just this way, ma'am." I mumble my thanks, keeping up my act. Now I just need to make sure he leaves me alone. That might be difficult to do without arousing suspicions. He leads me through stained glass doors. I look around trying to capture his attention elsewhere. Should I swoon and flirt or create ultimate chaos? I picture myself draping myself over him and I shiver in disgust. Ultimate chaos it is, Samsa. "Oh, my gods, what is that?" I shriek, in my most distressful manner as possible. "I just saw a shadow run down the corridor."
     The guard drops my arm and unsheathes his sword. "Stay here, m'lady," he says before going to investigate. He didn't even make sure I heard him. "He must be new." I wave it off and run out into the castle gardens. Em said she would be waiting near rose bushes. I gather my skirt and hunch over, hiding behind some bushes. In haste, I wrap my hair into a bun at the base of my neck. I grab my skirt once more and sprint towards the rose bushes. Maybe I should tell her about my change of the plan.

Originally, I wanted to provoke Mordred into revealing the whereabouts of Arthur's crown by breaking into his private treachery. I was going to try and find the key in his officer's study in the north tower, making my presence known to the guards. Em had enchanted some garments for me to wear as a disguise. No one would be able to find me. Now, however, I don't have the luxury of time. I must quickly come up with a new one. Sometimes I would just like for something to go according to my plan! 

Em's silhouette comes into view. She's standing, with her back facing me, over the roses. "Em," I whisper-yell. She doesn't acknowledge me nor look back. "Are you alright, Em?" I carefully touch her shoulder and look down at what she's intently staring at. The roses are in full bloom; the moonlight gracing each petal. "These used to be white roses," Em says quietly, "They were white before... and now they're red." My eyebrows, utterly perplexed by her behaviour and her words. My eyes roam from the rose bush to her face. An unrecognizable darkness covers her eyes. "Em?" Concern coats my tongue. Her eyes flicker, stunned at first, but it quickly disappears.

"Here," she bends down and hands me a sack, "the garments are in there. Be quick, the spell will only last around an hour." I nod as I look through them. "Hold on, this is a guard's uniform," I take out the helmet, "Where'd you even get this?" Em glances back at the roses. "You should get going. I'll tell you after you accomplish what you came here to do." I want to ask if she's feeling well once more but think better of it. "Ok, well, I'll see you at the end of this." She gives me a small smile of encouragement; it doesn't meet her eyes.

Without giving it much thought, I run off with her sack tightly gripped in my hands. The north tower is located behind the castle. Going through all the corridors would take forever and, according to Em, I only have an hour. The servant entrance is the closest wing to me. It's also convenient to change from my gown to the uniform. I creep close to the wall as I near their door and listen. There shouldn't be many servants in their quarters tonight as long as the ball is in full swing. Many would be in the ballroom, but others might be preparing the guest chambers for any close friends of Mordred. I cautiously peep into the room.