Chapter 22

Now

I remember. I remember my past. I can feel all the memories pour out of the locked vault that I created to hold them all. Shutting them all out was a mercy gifted unto me. Revisiting it all will open deeper wounds, so I will keep them at arm's length. Away from my present and away from the people around me. My past isn't what I thought it'd be, and I can't help but feel scared.

I walk out of House Benwick with Inferno strapped to my hip and Paxis, the second Cursebreaker, securely sheathed on my thigh. Dawn has begun to break on the horizon. The manor's ground glint with the morning dew as the day begins anew.

I slept most of the night, dreaming of old memories. Once I awoke, I became manic and searched the house for proof of what I knew to be true. I collapse down on the steps of Benwick. "You are a fool, Valencia," I speak to myself, "You should've seen the signs that was given to you from the start!"

The flaps of wings snatch me from my spiraling thoughts. The shadows of dragons bring shade to Benwick. I get up from the steps and walk down the path towards them. Drogon and Pele land first with Draxum and Rhydian on their backs. "Look, Val!" Draxum waves his hands above his head. "Drogon let me ride on his back again!" I smile at his excitement, but the smile doesn't reach my eyes.

"I see that, kid."

Rhydian jumps down from Pele. "Pendragon told us to come at dawn," he inspects me from head to toe, "She said that you might need time alone." I nod my head, keeping my eyes away from his. "Pendragon took us to a creek, not far from here, to clean ourselves. I've never seen anything like it," Draxum exclaims as he rushes over to my side. I touch his face, my thumbs rubbing his temples. His bright, happy eyes are wild with wonder. The sun has made his bronze skin glow; much healthier than when we were in our village.

"But," he frowns at me, his eyes looking closely at mine. "You look weird, Val. Different. Are you alright?" I mentally kick myself. Act normal, Val! "Of course," I reassure him, "I just have a lot on mind. We should start heading north today before midday." Pendragon lands in front of Drogon, shaking the earth. "I have shown your companions how to find the creek from here. It is on the way to your next destination." I approach her, leaving Draxum behind me.

Her enormous wings are still outstretched behind her. She is a powerful dragon indeed. "What will you do after we've gone?" Pendragon looks up at the others in the sky. Trojan and Yulan circle around the land with the two young dragons in tow. "We will go search for Merlin," she answers me. "You should careful, girl. The farther north you travel, the more creatures you will encounter." Pendragon lowers her head, getting closer to me.

"I see that you have awoken, enlightened one." Taken aback by her statement, I begin to fidget with my hands. "Did you know what I was? Who I was?" She shakes her head at my question. "I assumed. Your scent is smothered in magic," she straightens her neck, "The real question is this: Do you know who you are?"

I give her a weak smile. "Ego sum immortalen." Pendragon tilts her with a knowing smile. "I am immortal," I translate. "I am Samsara, the third Cursebreaker." Satisfied with my answer, she roars up to the sky and flies off with Drogon and Pele on her tail. I stare after them as I slowly back away to Draxum and Rhydian. "What did she say to you?" Rhydian appears by my side.

I wait until the Pendragons disappear from the horizon before I speak. "She warned me about what we might face as we travel north," my voice trembles slightly at the half truth. "We should head up to the creek now. My stench alone will attract any terrifying beast!" I wiggle my fingers at Draxum, making him laugh. All three of us walk out of the Benwick property.

We journey west, beginning our quest once again. "Hmm." Rhydian is squinting up at the sky in thought. His dark hair in lazily styled mess, fall on the side of his face. "What?" I ask curiously. "Nothing really," he pauses and looks me in the eye, "I was just so incredibly sure that you left Inferno in the den when you left last night." My feet almost trip on air at his words.