Chapter 18

It was a long night for many of us. A night full of anger, confusion, pain. It's safe to say that none of us are the same after that hell of a night. Trojan and Drogon left to hunt for food, while the rest of us recuperate. Us 'mortals' ate the leftover game from their last hunt. It has been entirely quiet between us and the dragons. They spoke amongst themselves while we did the same.

After checking the map and finding out that we are a couple days away from our next destination, the boys and I begin to plan our journey there. I lost my pack when I fell down the pit, so we are down 30% of our needed supplies. It doesn't give us the best odds, but we'll make do.

All three of us are sitting in a tight knit circle discussing our next steps. "I don't know how the trails will be like the farther north we go." Rhydian sits to my left, his dark locks falling on his eyes. "Plus, if Quikas has retreated north then we will mostly likely meet others on the road south, fleeing from their compromised lands." Draxum listens intently, never leaving Rhydian's face.

"Should that worry us?" Draxum asks, unwaveringly.

Rhydian's jaw ticks at his question, carefully choosing his words. "It shouldn't be a problem, Draxe, but," he pauses and runs a hand through his hair, "from what I've heard from Valencia, people out there aren't necessarily fond of the insignia on our chests." I instinctively look down at the rose covered sword. Fond isn't as strong a word to describe the hatred everyone seems to have for it.

Mm, it will be a bit problematic if we ever stumble across someone like that. "We'll cross that bridge when we get there, Draxum," I pat his knee reassuringly. "Right now, I need you to gather our stuff while I train with Rhydian." Draxum hoists himself up, but Rhydian stops him. "Actually, I think he should join us. It would benefit him greatly knowing how to defend himself out there."

I begin to shake my head. "He needs to know what to do in case we can't help him," he continues, "It'll only hurt him if you keep babying him." If looks could kill, Rhydian would've been a dead man by now. "He does know what to do, Rhydian!" I snap at him. Rhydian laughs sarcastically. "What? Run in the opposite direction? That's not a strategy, Valencia, that's cowardice."

"Oh, how rich coming from you!"

Rhydian flinches and I immediately regret my words. "Rhydian, I-" He stops me with a shake of his head. "No need to apologize, I understand," he pauses, thinking of his next words carefully, "but you must understand me. The dangers will only increase from here on out. There will come a time when you will not be able to reach him and then what?" I grit my teeth not wanting to imagine that scenario.

"Val," a hand touches my knee pulling my attention from Rhydian to Draxum. "I want to learn." His voice is unwavering and clear, a strength I've never seen in him before. Maturity. My heart wrenches at the thought of Draxum growing up because of this quest. "I have to, Val." I reluctantly agree. I wouldn't have been able to say no to him, even if I could.

Draxum stands, leaving me and Rhydian alone. "Teach him what's necessary," I order him, "but don't overstep, Rhydian." I stand up and leave through one of the tunnels that leads deeper underground. The noises of the den silence behind me the deeper I go into them. I never got to fully appreciate the ingenuity of it.

The tunnels that lead directly to the den are much bigger than the ones that we went through. These are also more structurally sound than the tunnels at the top. I bet Pendragon and the rest dug the tunnels and their den deeper and deeper overtime; and as time passed, their older tunnels fell into ruin.

Somehow, the moisture of the soil is cool and refreshing. Small plants and overhanging roots slightly block the passageways, but it's hauntingly beautiful. Shades of browns and greens decorate the walls.