chapter nine

INSTAGRAM!
halleyfinn shared a post!

liked by haileybaldwin, marner_93, and others halleyfinn guess which leaf took this photo

halleyfinn guess which leaf took this photo

juliafinn i'm glad ur having fun without me ;)
halleyfinn shut up i love and miss you

austonmatthews hint for all the halleynators: it's not me!!
username1 HALLEYNATORS 💀💀
halleyfinn thanks for the clue matty

marner_93 oh my gosh this is an absolutely astonishing and stunning photo
username9 i found the culprit
halleyfinn MITCH YOU RUINED THE GAME
marner_93 sorry i'm just a bomb photographer
halleyfinn i might have to agree 🤨

shawnmendes wow
comment deleted!

shawnmendes plot twist: it was me
halleyfinn hi shawn i miss you

load more comments...

halley finn toronto, ontario ———

halley finn
toronto, ontario
———

        laughter roared through auston's apartment as mitch, morgan, and auston watched a random will ferrell movie; a tradition before a big game.

i stood in the guest room, packing up my suitcases that i'd have to bring back home to LA with me. i was leaving at 3am later tonight, and i was honestly sad. i was gonna miss hanging out with these guys. and shawn.

auston told me that i was gonna be kicked out of his apartment when the three guys left for the game. that would be at around 4:00, and it was now almost 3:40. i had no idea what i was gonna do for the next eleven hours.

i sat on my suitcase to zip it shut when i heard my phone ring through my airpod. i watched the name 'shawn mendes' flash across the screen.

my finger clicked the accept button and waited for the image to change. the screen switched to a rather adorable shot of shawn laying on the ground, his hair soaking wet and floppy on his head.

"sorry, i did just finish working out, but i remember you telling me it was your last day in toronto today," he grinned, "so i thought i'd call you and say bye. i hope i somewhat helped you enjoy your time here."

"are you busy today?" i asked boldly, completely disregarding his cute goodbye message. if he said yes, i'd have something to do for the rest of the day!

"i'm home right now, why?" he asked, "what time is your flight?"

i scratched my hair and answered, "3am, and auston is kicking me out when he leaves to go to the game, in...fifteen minutes," i checked my watch.

"oh, okay...you can come over," he smiled and wiped sweat off his face. i asked him if he was sure and he nodded yes again, and then we hung up.

shawn mendes
toronto, ontario
———

        i hung up the phone, pulled off my shorts, and hopped in the shower. after like three minutes of scrubbing my body and hair, i emerged from the bathroom and got changed.

i had heard someone freely humming at the gym and it sounded like i could work with it as a base for the melody of the song teddy and i had been working on over the last few days.

i picked up my guitar and walked into my living room, taking a seat on the end of the couch. i pulled out my phone and writing notebook. i started strumming the melody, humming the words to the song.

once i got the chord pattern right, i opened up voice memos and started singing as i played.

"all it'd take is one flight, we'd be in the same time zone," i changed the chord,

"looking through your timeline, seeing all the rainbows, i, i got an idea, and i know it sounds crazy, i just wanna see you...oh i gotta ask,"

the tempo changed, "do you got plans tonight? i'm a couple hundred miles from japan, and i, i was thinking i could fly to your hotel tonight...cause i can't get you off my mind, can't get you off my mind, can't get you off my mind, uh,"

i heard creaking on my floorboards, but before i could look to see who it was, they spoke, "who can't you get off your mind?"

halley stood in front of me, a large suitcase in her hand and the cutest beanie framing her bright red face. she dropped her suitcase on the ground, "what? your door was unlocked."

i simply sat there laughing at her and how cute she was. i didn't know a single person could have this effect on me. "so, is that a new song? i like it," she said as she pulled off the beanie and her jacket.

"t-thanks," i gulped and took a breath. why was she making me nervous? we'd hung out four times in the last eight days! "yeah, it's new...it's gonna be more upbeat once we add more layers and effects."

she sat on the chair across from me, placing her hands on her knees. she glanced at me, the guitar, and then the notebook. "can you sing me more? i'll be your first critique," she smiled sincerely, "i promise to be honest."

she wanted to hear me sing? a knot formed in my chest...i was never this nervous to sing in front of someone alone. but she was different. "sure," i mumbled and flipped the page in my book.

"okay, the song isn't even done...but i'll do the next verse and chorus again.

"i could feel the tension, we could cut it with a knife," i strummed choppy, to highlight the vocals. "i know it's more than just a friendship, i can hear you think i'm right," my voice got higher.

"do i gotta convince you, that you shouldn't fall asleep? it'll only be a couple hours, and i'm about to leave," i sang and strummed, repeating the chorus again and finally finishing.

i placed my guitar beside me on the couch and closed my notebook. i leaned forward on my knees and we just sat for a few seconds. i flattered myself by thinking she was in awe of me, and she was. "shawn, how are you so fucking talented?"

"because my momma made me this way," i smirked sarcastically and we both laughed. god, her laugh is the cutest thing ever.

notes!
hey y'all! this chapter
was originally supposed
to be their entire day
together but i ended up
writing too much, so this
is to be continued!!