chapter eleven

shawn mendes
toronto, ontario
———

        i propped my phone up on my window as i waited for teddy to answer my facetime call. since i was on a bit of a hiatus until the next leg of the tour started, teddy was in LA with some other artists while i was living the life in toronto.

my label has been pushing me to finish the album and pick the two songs to be released as singles. right now, all i have is four songs, but i know that the first single should be 'in my blood'.

after i heard that rhythm in the gym and then tried playing it in front of halley, i knew that it would need to be the single right after 'in my blood' so that my fans wouldn't think i'm not okay.

i was meeting with teddy today to show her where i had gotten with 'lost in japan' and to discuss when i'd be able to release 'in my blood'.

"hey teddy," i grinned as the screen changed and i saw her in the studio. "thanks for making the time for this call."

"no problem," she retorted back and i saw her look up at the computer screen. "so, you said you were toying around with 'lost in japan'?"

i nodded and pulled my guitar off my bedroom floor, settling it on my crossed legs. "this is obviously just gonna be the base guitar stuff, but i think it should be played on both bass and acoustic guitar..." i prefaced what i was about to sing.

i started strumming the base melody, singing the first verse and chorus once through before i got to the second verse that teddy had never heard. "i can feel the tension, we could cut it with a knife, i know it's more than just a friendship, i can hear you think i'm right..." and then i finished the song.

"oh, yeah! i love that second verse way more than what we originally had...great job," she praised my newest work. i was never going to admit it to myself, but i wrote that verse the day after the leafs game; and i knew it was about her.

we ran through a couple synth beats that could be layered onto the base melody, but didn't really get anywhere because i couldn't hear much over facetime. i agreed to come to LA next week so that we could fully produce the song and have at least something to show the label.

"oh, and i talked to andrew, he said that we'll release 'in my blood' in three weeks, so you can start promoting it and stuff..." teddy added as we finished up our call. i smiled surprised, i was absolutely ecstatic to be releasing this song.

we said our goodbyes and i hung up the call. i pulled out my writing journal and started jotting down all of the tracks i had written—a shocking 4 out of 14.

i had 'in my blood', 'lost in japan', 'nervous', and 'like to be you' featuring my good friend julia michaels. i really needed to get a move on this album.

i decided that for the rest of the day i'd stay in my condo and try to bust out at least one song. i had all this inspiration, but i wasn't sure if good enough words were gonna pour out of me.

a couple hours had passed and i was fidgeting around with some melodies on my computer. i had tried so hard to come up with some sort of song, but literally nothing was coming to me.

maybe when i get to LA it'll be different.

———INSTAGRAM!shawnmendes shared a post!

———
INSTAGRAM!
shawnmendes shared a post!

liked by halleyfinn, dovecameron, and others shawnmendes 'in my blood' out february 17!! i'm very excited to share this song with all of you

shawnmendes 'in my blood' out february 17!!
i'm very excited to share this song with all of you

teddygeiger gonna be #1
shawnmendes that's what i like to hear!!

dovecameron oh i'm ready

halleyfinn new music???? and you didn't show me??? i thought we were friends mendes
shawnmendes you're gonna have to wait like everyone else
halleyfinn oh really

user2 shawn where's the album
user87 ^^^

_aaliyahmaria send demo now mister
shawnmendes okayy

load more comments...

———iMESSAGE!shawn mendes and halley finn

———
iMESSAGE!
shawn mendes and halley finn

arizona ☀️
don't make me
beg for the demo
of in my blood

canada 🥶
hello to you
too halley

arizona ☀️
sorry hi <3
can i please please
please hear like at
least part of it??

canada 🥶
it's only a three
week wait

arizona ☀️
but the point of
being your friend is
that i can hear it early

canada 🥶
so you're using me?

arizona ☀️
absolutely
lol no i'm not i swear

canada 🥶
how about this
i'll play it to you on
thursday when i come
down to LA

arizona ☀️
you're coming here?!

canada 🥶
gotta work on the album
and all my writers are there

arizona ☀️
oh my gosh im excited
i gotta go shoot though

canada 🥶
okayy
ill talk to you later

notes!
good morning besties
i did write this at 2am but
fell asleep while i was
formatting it 😭😭