chapter twenty-two

halley finn
toronto, ontario
———

        the automatic door of the leafs office building opened and i was met with a light breeze. i pulled on my cardigan, surprised at how quickly the weather had changed since this morning.

i searched up directions to 'forget me not cafe' and started walking down the streets of the city. auston was right: it was way better when it wasn't freezing cold.

being here alone this time around was difficult and definitely didn't make me feel the greatest, but my busy schedule over the next few days before the leafs got back was helping a lot.

i turned the corner and saw the familiar sign of the cafe. i pulled open the door as i arrived and walked in, straight to the counter to place my order. the barista recommended their new specialty iced latte, and i took her up on her offer.

she led me over to the other end of the counter to wait for my drink. i quickly checked my phone but saw no new notifications, so i looked around the cafe at the decor and all the people.

one guy in particular, head down, headphones in, and writing in a notebook, caught my eye. he tilted his head up for a moment to sip his coffee, and i realized it was shawn.

we hadn't spoken since the launch party. at first i thought that was a good thing. but then i realized that him not contacting me means that he's fully aware of what he did, and is waiting for me to make the first move because he was the one who fucked up.

the barista shouted out, "halley!" and i picked up my drink, watching out of the corner of my eye to see if he by chance heard it and thought it might be me. he didn't.

before i could run out, the door chimed open and a familiar girl walked in and approached shawn's table. aaliyah noticed me but didn't say anything, instead just sat down with her brother and whispered to him.

they both, completely unnaturally may i add, swung their heads to look at me. aaliyah waved and grinned while shawn nodded his head with straight lips.

i nodded back and made my way out of the cafe quickly, not wanting either of them to stop me. i pulled out my phone and clicked play in my headphones, before i saw a text from aaliyah.

the better mendes
we just saw you in the
cafe!! did you not have
time to say hi?

i left her on read and walked back to my airbnb. as much as i wanted to talk to her, i didn't have the time for this right now.

my life was finally taking off, full speed ahead. i booked a victoria secret fashion show, i'm producing a sports docu series, i launched a line of tequila, and i feel genuinely good about every person i have in my life.

after him, i thought i would never figure out how to love a person, let alone be with them. after the launch party, i had a feeling that shawn wanted to be with me, and i just don't know how to do that. i don't know how to be someone's companion.

the chunks of slush fell off my chelsea boots as i slammed them on the ground of the apartment building. i walked up to my airbnb and unlocked the door, placing all my bags on the counter and running straight into the bedroom.

my sweatsuit was already laid out on my bed from yesterday and i quickly slipped it on. i ran back out into the kitchen when i heard my phone ring. i saw hailey's name across my screen and accepted the facetime call.

"hey ms girl," i forced a smile on my face as the screen switched to an image of her sitting in a white bed. "how's the bahamas?"

"good, it's good," she sighed into a smile and i could just tell she was having the time of her life. "i have something pretty exciting to show you." she said and my face lit up, nodding her to show.

she giggled to the side, where i assumed justin was, and then raised her hand up in frame. i looked at her fingers and noticed a beautiful ring placed on her ring finger. my eyes widened and she moved it closer; they were engaged!

"oh my fucking god! hailey!" i squealed and put my phone down on the counter, "are you for real?" i laughed and grinned.

"he asked me this morning!" her smile got so big i could hardly see her eyes. i squealed loudly and heard my upstairs neighbour knock on the ceiling—whoops.

"i'm so happy," i said sincerely, "you guys deserve this. you're perfect for each other." and i meant it. i had honestly never been witness to such a beautiful relationship.

we talked for a few more minutes and i hung up, finishing the corking of my bottle of wine. i unintentionally poured myself a very hefty glass and moved to the couch.

and then the tears poured out my face. they weren't happy tears, and i felt guilty for crying.

———INSTAGRAM!haileybaldwin shared a post!

———
INSTAGRAM!
haileybaldwin shared a post!

liked by shawnmendes, juliafinn and others haileybaldwin justin drew bieber, i love you

liked by shawnmendes, juliafinn and others haileybaldwin justin drew bieber, i love you. i have never been more excited than i am to become your wife. look out world, you have a new package deal <33

justinbieber i love you hailey
haileybaldwin pinned this comment!

halleyfinn I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS
haileybaldwin ur still my fave
halleyfinn oh i know if that changes we'll have a severe problem justo
justinbieber thank you hall

shawnmendes congrats guys!

juliafinn my faves!!!!! congrats!

zendaya ohmygosh!! so happy :))

load more comments...

— notes!
jailey are my babies

sorry for the long
wait...love you guys