chapter sixteen

halley finn
los angeles, california
———

        "auston!" i shouted as i heard my front door open. since the leafs were in LA for the next few days for a game, i gave auston the spectacular honour of being my date to the AMAs. it was a way for us to spend time together, promote the show, and have me not go alone.

i peaked my head out my door and saw him walk in, dressed dapper in a deep maroon red open suit. "i'm ready...gimme one minute," i smiled, quickly picking up my clutch. "alright, let's go."

we got in the car and blasted music until we arrived at the venue. auston stepped out of the car first, holding his arm out to help me. "wow, when did you become a gentleman, matty?" i said sarcastically and he smirked in response, "no fucking clue."

the security started leading us to the red carpet where we stood for a couple minutes before we were each individually led to stand for photos. i posed for a few of mine and then looked over to auston. i started laughing at how uncomfortable he looked, and i heard his own giggles in response.

"i can't believe i let you take me here," he rolled his eyes as i pulled him away from the paparazzi. we walked to the interview section of the carpet and were stopped by a local news outlet. "halley! hi! i see you've brought a special someone...who's this?" the reporter smiled obnoxiously, obviously not familiar with auston.

"this is auston, my best friend," i smiled back politely, grabbing his arm, "he actually plays for the toronto maple leafs and we're here to promote the documentary show that i've been helping the team make!" i explained.

"yup, halley's really been helping us out," auston added. "oh yes! i have heard about this! when will the fans get to see it?" she replied.

"umm..." i looked to auston, who too had no idea when it'd be out. "we're still waiting for the season to end to wrap it up...but we'll have news on a release date soon!" i exclaimed. my number one rule with red carpet interviews was to try and seem polite as possible. when i went on late night shows i had more time to share my personality, but with these short two minute chats there wasn't really much time.

"okay, we're gonna let you guys go check out inside, but before we do...who are you excited to see perform tonight?" the woman said and held out the microphone to us.

"well, i know that auston's excited to hear post malone...but my friend shawn is performing his new song for the first time, so i'm excited for that." i said and the interview ended.

auston and i were led inside and to our seats, where we sat for a couple minutes before i saw a familiar canadian stroll in with a red head. it must've been his best friend brian he'd told me about a couple of times. i stood up and tapped auston's leg, telling him i'd be right back.

i held my dress up so that it wouldn't drag and walked over to shawn. "hey rockstar," i used my favourite nickname as i approached him and he stood up.

his eyes widened at my presence and i tried not to blush as he not-so-subtly checked me out. i held my arms out for a hug and he reciprocated, twisting the end of my ponytail. "are you ready to perform?" i asked, quickly realizing i hadn't introduced myself to brian. "sorry, i'm halley, nice to meet you," i held out my hand and he firmly shook it back.

"trust me, i know everything about you," brian chuckled back and i saw shawn turn red out the corner of my eye. "i'm brian."

"so, are you excited?" i playfully hit shawn's shoulder. "very," he grinned, "i'm gonna look at you the entire time because i'm pretty sure you're the only person here who knows all the words."