Chapter 21 - Resolutions

Author's Note: There will be an epilogue next week! :)

~ Amina Gila

It will take a great deal of meditating for Obi-Wan to untangle his many complicated emotions, but somehow, he still feels completely at peace. Maybe it's because he's stopped resisting what he's always known ever since a few months after Anakin became his Padawan: there is nothing he wouldn't do for him. Anakin was a special child, and Obi-Wan couldn't have failed to notice that, even while he was struggling in the aftermath of Qui-Gon's death.

Anakin is the most important person in his life, and he's tired of denying that. He's tired of their relationship growing increasingly strained, while he has to pretend that it doesn't really bother him because a deep, emotional connection is against the Code. He's tired of having to reject Anakin's obvious desire for closeness because "it's not the Jedi way."

And Obi-Wan knows how dangerous attachments can be, how people can fall victim to selfishness, but Anakin has managed alright, thus far. He's been able to balance his own desires with his duties in a way that Obi-Wan almost envies. Anakin's selflessness is remarkable. Even Obi-Wan doesn't think he could achieve something like that. Though he doesn't want to admit it, he knows that his feelings towards Anakin are as selfish as they are selfless.

He doesn't know how long they stand there, holding each other and saying nothing, their Force signatures entwined together as they let their emotions flood their bond. He doesn't have the strength – or desire – to deny that he does, in fact, see Anakin as his child. It's always been that way, he supposes, though he has tried to conceal that, even from himself.

Finally, Anakin lifts his head from where it was resting on Obi-Wan's shoulder. "I suppose... all of us have to figure out our next course of action," he says haltingly. "And – and Padme and I are... married." He doesn't meet Obi-Wan's gaze as he confesses. "We married after the First Battle of Geonosis."

"Why am I not surprised?" Obi-Wan replies dryly, not quite letting go of Anakin. "But we have more important things to discuss than the ways you – and I – may have broken the Code when we are, for all intents and purposes, leaving the Order anyways. We won't be the same kind of Jedi we have been if we're building a Rebellion against Sidious."

Anakin smiles, a real smile, one which reaches his eyes, and Obi-Wan suddenly realizes how much he's missed this: spending time with Anakin, just being together, relaxing with one another without any worries intruding. The last time they had something like this was before the mission to Ansion. Then, everything felt like it fell apart.

"Yes," Anakin agrees, still smiling, "I suppose we can talk more later about... whatever we still need to talk about." He steps back from Obi-Wan, though the contentment in his Force signature doesn't fade or change. Together, they walk back to the living room.

Obi-Wan can visibly see Custos' relief when they return. He and Anakin exchange glances, and Anakin nods to him before crossing to sit on the couch opposite where he, Ani, and Ahsoka are. Obi-Wan joins Anakin, and after a moment, Senator Amidala returns from wherever she had been, taking a seat at Anakin's side after another wordless exchange that undoubtedly has to do with the truth. Force, Anakin and Padme are married. It almost doesn't make sense, except it does, and Obi-Wan isn't sure if he should be amused or exasperated.

"What now?" Custos questions.

"The Council supports Senator Amidala's proposal for the next course of action," Obi-Wan explains without preamble, "Though Yoda sent me to join you without the Council's knowledge. He feels that we will have a better chance if we stick together and disappear." He doesn't add that Yoda was adamant that at least one Council member leave to ensure that the Jedi Order would survive whatever Sidious has planned. Obi-Wan had volunteered on the condition that he be permitted to take Anakin with him. It was because of his attachment, and everyone on the Council knew it. That's probably why they weren't keen to agree.