Chapter 10 - Confrontation

It's still early when Anakin reaches the Temple, and he hopes that he'll be able to do some scouting before it gets too late. Theoretically, he can do it later in the day since he'll be out of sight if he's able to shield properly so no one can detect him, but he'd rather not push his luck. Besides, if he can do it now, there's no reason to wait, right?

All of his hopes are dashed when he runs into Obi-Wan right inside the Temple entrance. In an instant, his anger and resentment rush back, pushing away the momentary calm and determination which has been filling him since he woke. He pointedly avoids looking in Obi-Wan's direction, but his former master clearly must have been looking for him, because he immediately approaches him.

"Anakin, can I talk to you?"

He resists the urge to growl something incredibly nasty – he doesn't even know what that something would be – nodding his head stiffly. "What is it?"

"Privately," Obi-Wan emphasizes, gesturing for him to follow. Anakin does, because he has no reason to refuse, not really, and it's probably best to get this over with, even if it probably has to do with Custos and will therefore be highly uncomfortable.

They walk in the direction of Obi-Wan's apartment, Anakin avoiding the gaze of any passing Jedi so that they, in turn, won't stop to talk to him.

"What is this about?" he asks warily. He hasn't seen Obi-Wan since Custos was arrested yesterday, and he's not ready for this. In truth, he's entirely worn out, and all he wants to do is rest. A part of that, he thinks, is from residual electrocution effects, because he was a prisoner of Dooku not that long ago. He ought not to have snuck from the medbey, but he needed to see Custos. If the Council hadn't done what they did, Anakin wouldn't have ignored his body's need for rest – and the lingering, subtle ache in his muscles – to care for Ani.

Obi-Wan lets out a breath that isn't quite a sigh. "The Council asked me to look into the influence Custos has on both you and... Ani," he explains.

Anakin clenches his jaw. If Obi-Wan really thinks that Anakin will be willing to explain the reason why he so desperately turned to Custos after his world was upended, he'd better think again. Perhaps in the past, when Anakin was younger, when he still hadn't accepted that Obi-Wan would never care about Anakin the way Anakin cares for him, he might have confessed everything... but it would have meant facing Obi-Wan's rejection, seeing his disappointment and disapproval over the depths of Anakin's attachment to him.

He can't endure that now, especially now. As he learned, as he grew, he began to close himself off so that he would never have to endure a hurt so deep it would scar him forever. Just hold me, protect me so that I can rest. He can't say that to Obi-Wan, but he could say that to Custos. He – he misses having a parent sometimes, now more than ever, because he remembers keenly how his mother would help him when he was overwhelmed, calming and soothing him, letting him pretend, for a short time, that he was a normal child who could take security in his mother. He misses that.

"There's nothing to look into," Anakin mutters sullenly.

Obi-Wan gives him a sharp look. "I disagree."

Of course, he does. Anakin scowls but remains quiet as they reach Obi-Wan's apartment. Obi-Wan types in the code, entering when the door slides open. Anakin follows, crossing his arms over his chest and sitting down on the couch, waiting for Obi-Wan to speak. "Talk," he demands. "Just say whatever it is you want to say."

Now that he's actually sitting, Anakin realizes that he can feel a faint humming in the Force, something that... doesn't really belong here. It takes him a moment to identify it: Custos' lightsaber. The kyber crystal was bled, so it feels mournful in the Force, but why is it here? He won't ask though; he'll wait until later, maybe when Obi-Wan is gone, before trying to find the lightsaber, so he can return it to Ani. That way, when Custos is freed, regardless of the circumstances, he'll have his lightsaber back.