Epilogue

Author's Note: First of all, I want to say that I am so sorry about how this ends. Truly, I am. I I spent a long time trying to figure out how it could be a fix-it, and... well, given how everything was heading, I couldn't see a way for it to work out. So, you get this instead. I... hope you like it? :) But this is not the ending! You can absolutely take it as one, but I have already written a sequel, The Warrior's Path, the first chapter of which is already posted. :D I hope that y'all like it as much as you did this book!

And thank you all so, so much for reading, voting, and/or commenting on this fic! :D:D:D

~ Amina Gila

At first, Anakin wondered if he even would hear from Rex, much less regularly, since their communications are technically illegal, and Rex will be busy, especially with the change in command and everything, but a message is waiting when they reach Naboo.

"We are to be deploying to Umbara tomorrow. General Krell will be in command."

The next message is one week later.

"Krell was a traitor. Lost a lot of good men there. Hardcase sacrificed himself to save us. Put in a request with the Jedi Council. The boys will be under my personal command from now on. No more Jedi."

And two months after that, the news becomes progressively worse.

"Fives is in hiding. He uncovered an inhibitor chip in our heads. Could be used for mind-control. Fives thinks the Chancellor is behind it, that he can make us kill the Jedi at will. Council is investigating it. We're removing them all."

***

It's two months after moving to Naboo when it happens. Anakin had felt a distinctly off feeling ever since that morning. Perhaps it has only been growing over the past week after hearing the news from Rex. Inhibitor chips. Oh Force. The clones never were anything more than a slave army, were they? It makes him feel physically ill to know that he, Anakin Skywalker, former slave, was no better than any of the slavers on Tatooine.

A shockwave echoes through the Force suddenly, and Anakin stumbles, gasping, as an icy cold wave of deathdespairfear ripples outwards. No. Nonono. It's happening. He had thought they would have more time. He thought they might be able to stop it, stop Sidious. But all across the galaxy, he can feel the Jedi dying one-by-one.

Order 66.

It's happened.

Anakin skids from the doorway of his and Padme's bedroom to the living room where everyone else is located. "Master," he breathes, horror choking him.

Obi-Wan's face is pale, expression pained. "I know," he whispers. "I feel it too." Anakin throws himself into Obi-Wan's arms without a second thought, reaching out to Ahsoka and pulling her close as they ride out the waves of Darkness together.

The galaxy is coming undone all around them, and they're not ready.

***

They only stay on Naboo for another two weeks as the Republic falls, becoming an Empire. Then, they flee. Sidious will be searching for Anakin in earnest now, and they cannot afford to be found. Naboo will probably be one of the first places he searches. When he comes for them, they need to be gone.

So, they leave, departing for Alderaan without telling anyone. They can rely on Bail to help them, at least for a time, until they figure out where they should go next. Anakin hopes that their lives won't be filled with constant moving, but... what other choice do they have? To start a Rebellion, they have to be on the move.