11 - Love There That's Sleeping

Peggy was more than delighted to see me. She peppered me with kisses and questions as she led me into the living room. I was weary but still smiled and answered each one politely.

"Let me fix you a cup of tea, Julie dear. Would you like some biscuits with it as well?"

"Yes please Peggy, thank you so much." Just the aura of this woman cheered my deflated spirits.

She made a pot of tea and brought it into the living room. As we sat drinking tea and munching on biscuits together, she continued with her questions.

"How is Gina settling in London? Did her work start off alright?"

"Oh she's very happy Peggy. She's busy hunting a flat for herself so she can move out of her cousin's apartment. As for work, she says the hours are long but she doesn't mind because they get plenty of tea breaks."

Peggy giggled at this, "Good good, tea breaks are the best part of work life."

"Aside from the pay of course", I winked.

She giggled again, "And how are you feeling without Gina around you?"

"Oh, I don't miss her very much", I lied. "I talk to her every other day so it makes up for her absence."

"Still, you both were thick as thieves. I'm sure you miss her plenty. It's a shame Liam is so busy himself these days. He would have surely made up for her absence."

I doubt that very much.

"Noel showed me the vinyl you got for him for his birthday. That was very sweet of you dear -"

"Oh it was nothing, just a last minute gift hastily wrapped up. Which reminds me..."

I reached inside my purse and pulled out the John Lennon vinyl.

"I bought a little something for Liam as well, as a...y'know - congratulations of sorts, since he's got a record deal and all that. Would you please give it to him Peggy?"

"Oh dear, really you're too much. Liam will be delighted. Lord knows how much of a fan he is of that man. But you shouldn't be giving this to me. You should give it to him with your own hands."

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, "I don't know Peggy, I'll forget about it, what with work and other things happening. Besides, he's not home all the time and I can't always catch him."

"Nonsense love, I'll send him over the moment he comes home."

To my dismay, she placed the gift gently back in my hands.

"You should give it to him...", she repeated with a clear sparkle in her eye. "He would be delighted."

----

When Peggy said she would send him over 'the moment he comes home', I didn't think she meant that same night.

The constant rapping against my window roused me from my sleep. I didn't immediately notice Liam's face pressed against the window. When I switched the lights on, I almost jumped out of my skin.

"The fuck are you here for?", I asked him coldly once I opened the window.

"You've finally fixed it I see", he grinned, referring to the glass pane.

Yes Liam, I wasn't going to live with a constant reminder of you was I?

"Well...", he piped after a bout of silently staring at me. "Are you gonna let me in or not?"

"Not. You can come tomorrow through the front door like a normal person. Now fuck off."

"Oi! Mind the language would ya?"