17 - Take These Broken Wings

Thank you so much for the 1k+ reads! Here's another chapter from Lia's love life. Time for a bit of drama.

----

When the wheels of the airplane hit the runway of Heathrow airport, a wide smile grew on my face.

I flew past the customs and grabbed my two bags from the luggage carousel before stepping out the airport doors. I scanned the faces behind the stands for Gina's grin but not for long.

"Julia!", I heard the excited scream come from the right.

Now I'm not one for sappy airport hugs but when I saw my best friend rushing towards me, I let go of all inhibition, ran towards her and pulled her into a great big bear hug.

Trevor was waiting for us by his car. He gave me a hug before grinning down at me.

"Welcome Julia! Certainly took your time coming back."

"Oh shush baby, she didn't come just for us y'know", Gina gave him a meaningful smile. I blushed slightly before swatting her arm.

"The Oasis gig was just an excuse. What I really came here for was to meet you guys."

"Sure, sure. Whatever you say, Lia", she rolled her eyes.

We got into the car and Trevor drove us to their apartment. All through the journey, Gina filed me in on the recent happenings in her life. Her constant chattering reminded me of the eleven year old Gina I met on my first day at school.

I hadn't even been back for an hour and nostalgia was already swirling around me. I couldn't imagine how it was going to be in Manchester, where some of my best and worst memories lay.

Gina's apartment was a cozy nook despite sitting in the bustling center of the city. Trevor had found the apartment for them. They were a lovely couple, Gina and Trevor. Though I hadn't physically seen the progress of their relationship, I knew enough from all of Gina's calls to know they were deeply in love.

When I remarked how cute they were together, Gina gave me the evil eye.

"You can be cute together with someone too, if only that someone wasn't a cheating asshole."

Trevor chuckled, "Relax love, it's not like our Julia to go falling madly into his arms. They just shagged that's all. Doesn't mean they are going to drive off into the sunset."

Gina gaped at him, "You think all shags are the same, don't you? God, all you men are such pigs."

"Hey, now come on -"

They began to bicker like an old married couple while I watched in silent amusement.

Trevor's words had hit a cord though. Liam was the last person I'd expect to drive off with me. He didn't do things like that. Love was a foreign concept to him. Shagging wasn't.

Even though we were on better terms now, I still had to figure out where we really stood. I had to approach things with an open mind. That way, I could coach myself to expect disappointment from him at all times.

My first night in London involved Gina and I huddled together on her bed, discussing Liam in low voices. I knew better than anyone where her apprehension was coming from. It was just funny how the tables had turned and now she was the one warning me to be careful.

"I will be, Gina", I told her. "I'm not gonna rush into things, even if he thinks we should. I'll be super cautious I promise."

"I hope you were super cautious during sex too."

I cringed at her bluntness. Gina sounded like Seth sometimes.

I nodded sheepishly before glancing at the pass in my hand, the one with Liam's signature. My heart did a stupid skip. Would he swoop me in for round two tomorrow night? I didn't know but once the thought was in, it was impossible to not wonder.