Chapter 16

"How did you escape?" said Robin.

"I... I... I told the Joker who I was working with" Sam confessed.

"What?!" Robin snapped.

"It was the only way I could get him to let me go" said Sam.

"Sam. You gotta be more careful. Now the Joker might be setting a trap for me" said Robin.

"I'm so sorry, Robin" said Sam.

Robin put his hand on her shoulder and said "you're fine. It's my fault for letting you go alone. If I'd gone with you, I would have gone Batman on the Joker's funny bone" said Robin.

Sam then thought about what Robin had just said.

"That's just it isn't it?" she said.

"What?" said Robin.

"If you'd gone with me... you would have protected me. So... if we wanna find our victims and get out clean, we have to work together" said Sam.

"Sure. But that didn't work out so well when there were Three Warriors. Now Calvin's sick and Charles Wallace is hiding. Frankly, I'm not sure why you aren't" said Robin.

"I don't hide when duty calls" said Sam.

"You're probably the most daring girl I know" said Robin.

"How vulnerable did you think I was when you met me?" said Sam.

"Example: A cheerleader at my school was vulnerable enough to fall for the Joker's phony promises" said Robin.

"And what happened?" said Sam.

"The Joker gave her perfumes and led her astray. She joined his gang and after Batman and I found out, he poisoned her" said Robin.

"Were you able to save her?" said Sam.

"Yeah. But poor Susie still fell for a crook's promises so she can get what she called the finer things in life" said Robin.

"Yeah, but she was less experienced with crooks. I'm nothing like that chick" said Sam.

"No, you're not. But you know how I worry about you out there alone" said Robin.

"Well, you shouldn't. Why do you anyway?" said Sam.

"Because of the villains. I remember... when I was pregnant and you had to fight them alone... you'd never fought them before. I was so frightened for you" said Robin.

"Well, you're here now. And now we can work together" said Sam.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course! Back to back, side by side, I'll always stick with you, Robin" said Sam positively.

Robin let her give him a fist bump.

"So what do we do now?" she said.

"Well... it's kinda late. You should get some rest" said Robin.

"Gee, Robin; who could rest at a time like this?" said Sam.

"Batman says that even crimefighters need their sleep" said Robin.

Sam started to head back to Wiggletown.

"Wait. It's dark. If someone sees you outside at this time of night, you might be their next victim" said Robin.

"If I can't go home, where am I gonna stay? Huh?" said Sam.

"In Wayne Manor. Would you like that?" said Robin.

"In Wayne Manor? Sure, I'd like it if it means having a roof over my head" said Sam.

"Good. Come on" said Robin.