14

Spring, Ilsan.

In the season of new beginnings, you welcomed change by moving to houses in hopes of having a fresh start.

Your new home has been nothing but great except for the one time the wiring smelled off that you panicked, thinking you'd be the cause of the fire, but thankfully, you lived next door to an engineer who was kind enough to check the circuit and troubleshoot it himself. Out of fear, it became a habit to ask him to check on your wiring regularly until the two of you became good friends.

"You can try turning on the TV now," Jungkook says, but you were too scared to even try.

"What if it explodes and the circuit breaks again? My broke ass could never pay for the damages!"

Jungkook rolled his eyes at you, "Quit being a baby and just open the damn TV, Y/N"

You sighed but still obliged, "There, please double check if it goes ape shit before you leave. I'll go get you something to eat"

He nodded at your pleas and waved you off to the kitchen, "I want an extra chicken on that sandwich!"

"Boy, I told you I'm broke as hell! This is already half of our grocery for the week!" You yelled back, to which both of you laughed.

As you were busy preparing his sandwich, you heard what was being talked about on the news. There it was. A mention of someone's name makes your heart feel heavy whenever you hear it. Memories of him suddenly flashed like a bittersweet movie.

"The board exams results have rolled out, and KSU's Kim Taehyung bagged the top spot with a score of 94.5% percent. Kim is the younger brother of Atty. Kim Namjoon, who topped number one in 2007, currently co-owns Kim & Min Law alongside Atty. Min Yoongi."

Your eyes were glued to the screen as they flashed a picture of Taehyung while they covered more about this year's bar examination and how rare it is to get a high percent the way he did.

They even mentioned how his brother used to have the country's highest score until Taehyung outdid him. You wished they would stop bringing up his brother's achievements and just focus on him, but what can he do when he comes from a family of sought-after lawyers?

"Wow, that's some big brain. I didn't even rank the top 10 engineering board exams," Jungkook says as he took a bite of his sandwich. "Just passing the boards is enough."

"That's very likely of you to say," you snickered, making him roll his eyes.

"Thanks for the snack, Y/N. Next time I check your unit again, why don't you make bulgogi?"

"Go home, you pig!" He laughed and said his goodbyes.

You were now alone in the living room, still staring at the news report until it moved to the weather forecast segment.

Happy and proud would be an understatement to describe how you felt about Taehyung's success. Being the top one meant he wouldn't have a hard time looking for a firm to work at. You knew how hard he worked for this and how much he wanted to prove to everyone that he could do it and that he did it with flying colors.

You debated whether or not to congratulate him, but of course, you being you, you mustered all the courage to send him a single text just so he knows. But at the same time, you felt like an asshole hitting him up again after leaving him.

In your defense, it was out of goodwill and genuine happiness from your side so, you did. Other than that, you still remembered his number at the top of your head, so why not?

Y/N: Hey, congrats on getting number 1! Glad to know you're another step to reaching your goals! [10:00 AM]

Taehyung: Appreciate it. Thank you so much. But who's this? [10:00 AM]