𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟿 - 𝙸𝚛𝚘𝚗 𝙼𝚊𝚗

One week later I found myself standing off to the side in a private room while the press conference that had been called awaited in the adjoining room, we watched on the TV as Rhodes began his little speech.

"You've all received the official statement of what occurred at Stark Industries last night. There have been unconfirmed reports that a robotic prototype malfunctioned and caused damage to the arc reactor. Fortunately, a member of Tony Stark's personal security staff..."

Anthony began to smirk while Pepper fixed his tie. "Iron Man." He announced. "That's kind of catchy. It's got a nice ring to it. I mean, it's not technically accurate. The suit's a gold-titanium alloy, but it's kind of evocative, the imagery, anyway."

"Here's your alibi. You were on your yacht. We have port papers that put you in Avalon all night and sworn statements from 50 of your guests. Stane - He's on vacation. Small aircrafts have such poor safety records. This isn't my first rodeo, Mr. Stark. Just stick to the official statement, and soon, this will all be behind you. You've got 90 seconds." Agent Coulson instructed professionally.

Sighing I approach Anthony to fix his hair and put his signature glasses on. "Just read the script Eddie and behave yourself or S.H.I.E.L.D. is going to blow a gasket. "

Everyone looked at me confused as to how I knew where he was from, but there was no time for questions as I gave Coulson a wink and stood back letting Pepper and Anthony talk privately before he hit the stage.

I didn't care to be seen here today so I opted to stay in the side room and watch the conference on the screen. Anthony strutted up to the stage with his usual flare as Rhodes introduced him. "And now, Mr. Stark has prepared a statement. He will not be taking any questions."

"Thank you. Been a while since I was in front of you. I figure I'll stick to the cards this time. There's been speculation that I was involved in the events that occurred on the freeway and the rooftop...I know that it's confusing. It is one thing to question the official story, and another thing entirely to make wild accusations, or insinuate that I'm a superhero." He began.

"We never said you were a superhero." Someone called from the crowd.

I couldn't help but laugh catching the glint in Tonys eye knowing exactly what he was going to do next.

"Didn't? Well, good, because that would be outlandish and fantastic. I'm just not the hero type. Clearly. With this laundry list of character defects, all the mistakes I've made, largely public. Yeah, okay. Yeah. The truth is... I am Iron Man."

☞ ☞ ☞

Despite the telling off he got from both Coulson and Pepper all I could do was laugh at Anthony the whole way home. "I can't believe your dumb ass sometimes you know? But even I have to admit that was brilliant."

When we arrived I knew instantly that we weren't alone. Pushing Anthony behind me, much to his protests I managed to put a hand over his mouth to shut him up - thankfully he got the message. Creeping through the corridors to the main living room I instantly let my guard down knowing our 'guest' wasn't a threat.

"I am Iron Man." Mr Nicholas Fury announced from the armchair he'd situated himself into. "You think you're the only superhero in the world? Mr. Stark, you've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet."

"Who the hell are you?" Anthony questioned.

Nicholas raised himself from the chair slowly before approaching us. I stared at him with a raised brow, unsure whether I was to pretend I didn't know who he was or not.

"Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Nonchalantly Anthony mumbled a small. "Ah."

"I'm here to talk to you about the Avengers Initiative." He turned to me with a small grin. "Hey Kid, how you been?"

I smirked before responding - "not too bad Nicholas, all the better for seeing you."

Anthony began looking between us. "What the hell is going on?!"

"That depends..." I began. "Is this a good time to tell you that I work for S.H.I.E.L.D?"

"YOU WHAT!?" He screamed.

☞ ☞ ☞

It took longer than expected to explain to Anthony that the pirate in front of him was the very Nicholas I'd told him about - the one that found me and ultimately got me back to him. He seemed to back down a little after hearing that part.

I didn't include myself in their conversation, simply caught up with Nicholas for a few minutes before excusing myself. Given that I was once again confined to rest for the past week I'd been looking into the internship offers I'd received - turns out there were a fair few.

Most seemed to be offering more than what I'd asked for in an attempt to suck up and impress me however this was the opposite of what I wanted. I'd put my applications in to start my intern year the same as every other intern but a bunch of these were pushing more money, higher status roles and even gift baskets.

One of the only responses I'd received that simply offered what I asked for without anything further was Seattle Grace Hospital in NYC. A Dr Richard Webber had asked if we could arrange a meeting as a sort of 'interview' to discuss my application and should it go well, hopefully a guaranteed place in his hospitals program.

I gladly accepted.