Chapter Three - Dejection

"Do you know what might of caused this?" A medical assistant asked.

Eren was crying on a couch in the living room while paramedics put his mother on a stretcher and into an ambulance.

"She's been sick for a few weeks now..I-I was at a friends house and wasn't here." Eren buried his face in his hands. "Oh my god.."

"Eren, right? Don't worry, kid." The medic soothed. "We'll take good care of your mama.."

//

"Come on Leviii! Just take it!" Hange said, shoving the phone on his face as they walked in the long halls of Levi's dealership. "Put Erens number in your phone!"

"Hange. I told you I don't have time for relationships." Levi retorted. "He's what, twenty at most? That's an eighteen year age difference. No way."

"Oh pish posh. My uncle and aunt are seventeen years apart." Hange said as if it was normal. "Plus, I saw the way he was staring at you while you were ordering all the way till you sat down by me!"

"Maybe because, I don't know, I'm me." Levi said sarcastically. "It's normal."

"Levii!" Hange groaned in annoyance. "You're so stubborn for what?"

The two reached the end of the hallway and exited out of the door to the back of his dealership.

Levi took out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket, grabbed one, and lit it with his lighter.

"You know smoking is bad for you? You'll live a short life if you keep it up." Hange said, crossing her arms. Levi stared at her for second before rolling his eyes.

"Instead of pestering me, how about you go sell some fucking cars." He grumbled. Hange had been annoying him all day about Eren.

"Ugh. We'll just think about it. Maybe Eren can make you, I don't know, a decent human." Hange mumbled the last bit before walking inside and to the lobby.
\\
Eren was pacing back and fourth in the waiting room of the lobby. His mother was being tested, seeing what might have caused the sudden faint she had.

"Eren Yeager?" A petite woman with black hair and glasses called. "We're ready for you."

Eren followed the lady to a room on the third floor of the hospital. They were greeted by a friendly doctor who sat on a stool by his mothers bed.

"Hello, Eren." He said and got up to shake Erens hand. "Have a seat please."

Eren sat down in a white chair against the wall. His mom was sleeping in a hospital gown over in the corner of the room.

The doctor wheeled his stool over to Eren and his face turned stern.

"Eren, your mother had HIV." He said getting straight to the point. "Over time, HIV will turn into AIDS without proper treatment and is considered fatal."

Erens heart jumped into his throat.

"H-how much is medication?" Eren asked. If it was anything over five thousand, Eren would not be able to afford it and his mother could die.

"That's what I was about to get to." The doctor replied. "HIV medication is four thousand, eight hundred a month."

"How many months is it going to take..?" Eren prayed it was possible for it to work in a month even though he knew it would be a miracle if it did.

"Potentially seven to twelve months, Eren." The doctor answered. Eren calculated how much money it would be for twelve months.

$57,000.

Erens heart sank. His mother was dead.

"A-alright. Thank you sir.." Eren said as he got up from his seat.

"Would you like to sign for medication?" The doctor asked.

"I..yes." Eren replied. He knew he couldn't afford enough for it to work but at least he could pay for the first month.

"Alright. If you'd just follow me this way."

\\

"Eren, I saw an ambulance come down this way last night." Armin said. "Is someone hurt?"

"Yeah.." Eren muttered as he got inside Armins car. Once he buckled Armin started driving.

It was early the next morning and all night Eren was thinking about what he was going to do. Would he "buy" all the medications and go to court for medical debt? Maybe.

"Oh damn. Who was it?" Armin asked.

"My mom.." Eren mumbled. The car came to a halt and Armin looked over at Eren.

Erens eyes were glossy and had dark circles under them from lack of sleep. They were also swollen from last nights crying.

"Eren..I am so sorry.." Armin said and leaned over to hug Eren. "How are you holding up?"

Eren was holding himself together pretty well until now. He could be sad and hold it all in but if someone starting sympathizing him or gave him a hug, the facade broke.

Eren burst into tears as he cried in Armins shoulder.

"I can't pay the medical bill, Armin!" He sobbed. His friend patted his back and whispered sweet nothings to try and calm him down. "What am I gonna do?"

"I don't know Eren.." he replied. "How much is the medical bill?"

"$4,800 a month for seven to twelve months.." he answered. Armins eyes widened at that.

"That could be up to.." Armin did the math in his head for a second before coming up with the result. "$57,000!"

"I know Armin.." Eren hadn't noticed but Armin had started driving again.

"Everything's gonna be-" Armin began before he was interrupted by Eren.

"Don't try to tell me everything going to be okay, Armin! I've been told that my whole life and look where I am!" Eren bawled. "I mean of course this happened. Nothing good ever happens to me, it's bullshit!"

Armin didn't say anything back. Eren was being a little rude yelling at him, sure. But he understood. He could even imagine what it was like having a loved one in the hospital and not being able to pay the medical bill.

The rest of the drive was silent. Even when they got to the café, Eren didn't hang out with his co-workers for coffee before they opened and stayed behind the register instead, leaning on his forearms thinking.

He was tired, scared, angry, and devastated. He was falling into a deep state of depression. It felt as if a vine coated with thorns was wrapping around his heart coming from the pit in his stomach.
///

Dejection
depression or lowness of spirits.

I'm going to start putting words as the titles and putting their definitions at the end because why not.

Have a great day ☺️