Chapter 11

Behind the lies, there is the truth (2)

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

I pleaded with him, "Please, let me explain." My hands are shaking now, and I'm afraid I'm going to pass out in here.

Steven asked calmly but angrily, "What in the bloody hell was that, Sam?" She hasn't moved from where she halted. She tried to contact him, but her conscience told her not to.

"Wha—what the heck happened earlier? Did the jackals do that to ya?" he wondered, puzzled but frightened.

I sigh and shake my head. "No, not the jackals. Actually, this..." I flipped my palm, and the black rubber object popped out, revealing Steven, who stood in the corner, mouth gaping. 

He exclaimed, "What is this?" Steven pointed to her hands, which were growing larger until Venom appeared from behind her and stole the stage.

Steven's eyes widened and he moved backwards as he realised he was being pursued. She was debating Venom on his mind when he possessed her body, but he didn't listen to her.

Steven screamed so loudly that it sounded like he was trying to wake up her neighbours. While moving closer to Steven, Venom licked his sharp teeth. Samantha attempted to stop her bigger built partner, but he ignored her once more. Steven passed out from nervousness and smashed his body into Samantha's cold tiled floor. 

•••

"Earth to Sammie!" MJ exclaimed as she waved her palm in front of Samantha's face.

When she noticed Sam tense, MJ chuckled and tilted her head. "Your insights today are deeper than the sea. Care to share?" MJ asked as she wiped the glass dry.

Samantha adjusted her seat before taking a deep breath. "It's just a problem, but don't worry, it won't influence how I live," she explained, a sorrowful smile on her face.

"Come on, Sam. We've known each other for over a month now. You know my secrets in those months. Don't be bashful; I'm not forcing you to reveal, but I'm here to listen to your rants," MJ remarked as she placed the glass on the counter.

"Anyway, Samantha, this isn't the first time you've zoned out; our employer has observed that you're not working as well as you should be; nonetheless, Bill was chatting to you earlier, and your only answer was a nod or a hum." Samantha cleaned the floor before stopping.

"What are you going to do if someone avoids you because you're practically telling the truth?" she inquired after a few minutes of silence.

MJ hummed as she considered a response to her friend's query. "I believe that you should give them time to process this information; sometimes, other people are shocked by your revelations or whatever; give them time; once they understand why you are hiding or keeping secrets from them, they will forgive you and make a move to fix those complicated things that have happened to you both."

Samantha lowered her brows, trying to decipher what MJ was saying before continuing to scrub the floors. "But still, MJ. I lied. I told them secrets, and they didn't deserve someone like me because I'm a liar!" she yelled, before throwing the mop back into its place and sitting at the counter with her head ducked in the counter.

MJ snapped her fingers in front of her face. " Hey, Sam, I don't think you're a liar. If you lied to them, I think you had a reason for it. But, I never consider someone to lie all the time. Everyone deserves the truth. In your case, I think you have a hard time dealing with those secrets with them." She walks over to Samantha and taps her on the back to calm her down.