Chapter 9

Meeting the demons

It was Tuesday, and Samantha didn't have work at the café today since the owner wanted her to train the new employee. She agreed, and she wants to meet and mix with the new applicant. After that, as a reward for supporting the new recruit, she receives a free day. Steven encouraged her to visit the museum to see the ancient artefacts, particularly the Egyptian works.

"Sam, this is Bill. Bill, met the person who will assist you today, Samantha." MJ introduced, Samantha displays her sweet smile at Bill, catching his attention.

It took some time because the boy had been staring at her for quite some time. He made a sign with his hands that he wanted to shake her hand. She shook it enthusiastically. The boy's cheeks turned pink, and he felt adrenaline rushing towards his nerve while clutching her hand. "Nice to meet you, Sam," he replied sweetly. "I hope we can have a good relationship here."

When MJ noticed Bill lad was becoming apprehensive towards Samantha, she wiggled her eyes at her and said proudly, "I told you." She then left the two of them to finish their duty.

Bill quickly picks up on the policies and what to do at the café. While performing their duties, they converse about themselves to get to know one another; in particular, Samantha let out a big laugh whenever Bill cracked a joke; the lad is flattered when he can make Samantha laugh, and listening to her voice is like listening to angels from above. 

They had all completed their chores within an hour. Samantha prepared beverages and meals for them both. Bill inquired, "Are you the one who will cover the costs?" Samantha sits down next to him, their knees practically touching, and Bill feels out of breath as she approaches him.

" Yup." While pronouncing it, she popped the letter P.

He protested, "I suppose the one who'll treat you because you're the one assisting me to my new work." Samantha tsked and shook her head in response.

She mocked him, "Don't fight with me, mate. Come and eat or I'll eat this all so it'll be more worth it." After that they continue to talked and laugh again until Samantha forgot that she has a meeting with Steven in 2 in the afternoon. 

Steven is waiting for her outside the café. He stands eagerly waiting, his gaze falling on his watch every second. "I guess you went inside, Steven, because you didn't know what happened inside," Khonshu said, sitting on the roof of someone's car.

" She said she'd walk outside when she finished her job; I've been waiting for her for over 30 minutes but haven't seen her; Sam never gets late to our meeting; on the contrary, I'm the one who's always late," he remarked, his worry expression on his face. 

Khonshu narrowed his eyes at Steven and slammed his sceptre down fiercely, his mummified robe streaming into thin air. "Perhaps she's doing something else in addition to her regular job." 

Samantha and Bill are still discussing and laughing about some of Bill's humorous recollections with her. "You know, Bill, of all the individuals I've met, you're the only one that makes my stomach pain, but not diarrhoea." They laugh again.

Steven entered the café and discovered Sam conversing with some boy who made his blood boil. Is this why Samantha is running late for the first time? His knuckles turn white as he tries to calm down. He approaches them to interrupt them, but they continue to chuckle, unaware to Steven's presence.

When they heard someone clearing their throat, they both stopped chuckling.

Samantha's eyes widened as she realised she had an appointment with him and was over an hour late. She hurriedly stood up and gathered her belongings. She waved and said, "Hey, Steven!"