CHAPTER 4

Miko's POV

"I finished what you suggested to me last week," Ei remarked.

Well, two weeks have gone and I'm much closer to Raiden Ei; it's been fun having her as a friend, as company, though I'm experiencing troubles since other students are throwing me death glares. 

Ei, on the other hand, gives them death stares as well. She has been protecting me for the past two weeks, and I appreciate it. What is occurring at school is that more students are being bullied without the teacher's knowledge, which frustrates me.

"I read the book in a week, and you only finished it in two days?" I laughed. After all, she is a vampire and has all the time in the world.

"The plot is very interesting," she said, "but I didn't anticipate her partner to vanish from the other female main character's life." she chuckled. "I thought it was a happy ending,"

"We all expected a happy ending," I said, smiling. "I hope the author will make a season two of it and bring them back together,"

She laughed. Oh boy, every time she laughs, chuckles, or simply a simple giggle, she becomes sexy. My gay side is coming out.

"Miko, are you okay? You looked to be zoning off,"

Yeah, I'm zoning out because I'm thinking about how hot you are. Gosh.

"I'm alright," I said. "Lunch is almost done; do you have any classes?" I inquired.

"I don't have any, Professor... Scaramouche has some business to attend to," she explained. She hesitates whenever I mention my homeroom adviser. Plus, the fact that they look alike, is there something between them?

"Ei, may I ask you a personal question?" I inquired. I might get a closer look at this. "Go ahead,"

"Well, I noticed you pause before saying Professor Scaramouche's name every time you mention him; is he perhaps a... relative?" I inquired. I might not get the desired response, but it's worth a shot.

"I-uh," 

So there's something going on between them. "It's alright if you don't answer," I said.

"No, it's just... it's complicated," she said as she looked away from me. "I would tell you, but I don't know how," she looked at me again, clearly wanting me to tell me everything.

"Ei, like I said, it's fine if you don't want to answer," I smiled. "Loosen up, would ya," 

"We're friends, aren't we? I mean-"

"Ei, even if we're friends, you can still keep secrets like your personal life hidden; it's perfectly acceptable if you don't want to answer; there's no need for you to tell me your secret," I chuckled.

"I really want to tell you, but I think in the future," she replied, covering her face with her hands. "My personal life isn't as great as you assume,"

This merely adds to my suspicions that she is the Dracula's daughter. Scaramouche, too, is said to have lived for 500 years. There's a possibility that Scaramouche's sister is the woman I'm speaking with right now. Raiden Ei.

"I understand, Ei. I'll wait for you,"

*

"I'm actually quite surprised Ei is here with you," Kokomi said.

Well, after school, I was about to go to the café where Kokomi and I typically meet, but Ei came along and said she had nothing to do, so I brought her.

"How are you, Ei," she asked.

"I'm doing well, how about you?" Ei replied.

This seems like a regular talk between two friends who aren't very close.

"Well, of course, stressed in politics, as usual," she sighed and chuckled. I completely forgot she was the daughter of the current High Priestess.

Ei laughed. "I wish you luck with it,"

"Ah, you two are the talk of the school," Kokomi giggled.

Ei instantly rubbed my back and handed me water when I choked. "W-what?"

That was to be expected if I was hanging out with the school's most popular student.

"There are rumors that Miko seduced Ei," she laughed. "Or suspicions that the two of you are in a secret relationship,"

"That's some crazy thinking," Ei chuckled. "Me and Miko are simply friends, and we only talk about books," she said.

Why did Ei's statement that we're friends upset me? But it's true that we're friends, so why did it bother me? Is it my emotions... different from what I expect?

"Yeah, friends," Kokomi said, smirking. "Well, I have a meeting to go to, so please excuse me; in the meanwhile, the two of you may talk about whatever you like," she giggled as she rose up and moved closer to my ear. "Goodluck,"

That sneaky witch. 

"Well, that was interesting," Ei said as she dug into her chocolate cake. I had no idea she was a sweets lover, but now I know, and because I'm a nice friend, I'll pamper her with sweets. Well... Perhaps not too much.

"Is there anything on my face?" she inquired. I must have stared for too long.

"Nothing," I said. "Just spacing out again," 

"Are you sure you're okay? You were spacing out earlier as well," she remarked as she grasped my hand. Why is my heart racing so quickly? Is this some type of vampire effect? Am I frightened?

"I'm alright, Ei," I said. Oh great, I'm stuttering now. Why am I afraid of her? She just touched my hand; we're friends, and all she did was protect me from the other students. Why am I afraid of her now?

"Tell me if something bothers you, I'm not great with words but... I can still listen," she said, her eyes sincere. Her eyes were pure kindness, and no harm was shown, yet... Why am I nervous in her presence?

"Thank you, Ei, but I'm fine," I said, smiling. "Say, Ei, do you have any friends... other than me?" I inquired.

"Past friends, to be precise," she said. "I'm not sure where they are, but I went to this school with them," she continued. "But they disappeared without a word, leaving me here alone,"

"I see," It must have been difficult for her. For 500 years, there was no one to talk to or bond with.

"Let's make a promise then," I smiled. "A promise?"

"I promise I'll be there for you all the time," I laughed. "Until my death, of course," I said. "But as long as I'm alive, I'll be with you,"

"Miko," she said. "I...I'm glad to know you're willing to stay by my side," she continued. "But there will come a day when I will have to leave you,"

My chest is aching. It's as if.... It's suffocating me.

"Well, I'll be with you till you leave,"

"That's not it, Miko; just being with you made me happy," she said. "However, being with me puts your life at risk."

"Then I'll gladly take that risk, Ei; I'm not the type of person who agrees that my friend would leave me merely because my life was at risk," I said. "When I was born into this world, my life was already on the line,"

"I'm sorry, Miko, but I can't allow you take that risk," she murmured, turning away from me.

"Then tell me why, why my life will be risked while I'm with you; you can't just say you have to leave me and I have to leave you; I need to know why."

"Miko-"

"I'll give you time until you can say it, but you can't talk to me until then," I said as I rose up and left her alone in the cafe.

What's the matter with me? I'm being too self-centered and demanding; what if she never spoke to me again? Then my plan would fail, and I would undoubtedly disappoint Kokomi.

This is the worst.