Chapter Thirteen: Caught & Paparazzi

Most of the time I am grateful for Paul.

Right now is not one of those times.

The second I saw him, I quickly stood up, and a minute later so did Morgan. I looked at her, but she wouldn't make eye contact, just staring at the floor. I wanted to ask her what she was thinking, I wanted to rewind and find out what she was going to say. I of all people know how hard it is to be constantly cut off mid-thought, but I couldn't do any of those things, because I had to talk to Paul.

He came over, the other lads close behind, looking a bit disheveled but they were breathing so they were fine. Before anyone could speak, Liam came over to we were. I was expecting Liam to lecture me before Paul could, but instead he just hugged Morgan.

"You okay?" I heard him mutter.

"Fine." She quickly replied, and then Liam let go, but stayed with her, now standing between me and her. Subtle, Liam. Really subtle.

Paul was silent for a while, standing there, eyes closed, one hand covering his face, before sighing. "You all know management's gonna give me h3ll for this, right? Honestly, this was probably one of the worst ideas you've had in a long while, worse-" he pointed to Lou "than when you thought it'd be a good idea to turn off the power at the venue in LA. You guys are going to be in so much trouble when I get you guys to the studio."

"Studio?" Zayn asked incredulously. "We aren't going today, we were scheduled for Monday."

"Yes well, Modest decided to move up the release date. You only have a week to record, so no time like the present to start. Now all of you, out the door."

"What about-" I was cut off.

"The fans dispersed once we arrived. They actually listen unlike some people." Paul replied curtly. D**n he was pissed. I tried to make eye contact with Morgan again, but she and Niall were busily talking about guitars.

The car ride to the studio was awkward. Mainly because no one was really talking. Liam had been looking at the ground for the painfully long time; Niall was still eating his food; Zayn was just looking out the window...or possibly his reflection. (Joking! I am joking. Zayn isn't that vain.)

Only when the car came to a stop did the boys actually look up. Morgan was slower, glancing briefly over at me before going back to twisting her ring. The side door opened and we all climbed out. To my surprise, I watched her go up to Paul-who thankfully seemed a bit calmer- and begin to talk quietly. He, in turn, nodded and said something back.

Whatever it was seemed to help because I watched her visibly relax before her and Paul began to walk toward the entrance along with me and the rest of the lads. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw black vans pull up and a swarm of people and cameras come out. Fantastic. Fan-mob and paps in one day. I sped walked up to Morgan, who was about to look back. Quickly I put my arm around her and made her keep walking.

"What are you doing?" She muttered.

"Don't look back, try to relax. We can't let the paparazzi photograph you." I explained.

"Part of a new contract?" Morgan asked.

"How did you know?" Unless Simon has sent her a contract too. It seemed like the sort of thing he'd do.

She shrugged, "I mean, if I were your manager, I wouldn't want the press thinking you all were trying to form a harem or something."

We walked through the doors, but it was a good minute before she moved away from me.