Chapter 12

"Alec?"
The tired voice came from the other side of the door and I looked blankly across the room.
"Yes?" I called out in an equal tone.
"Dr. Jay requests your assistance, the members are starting to come back and we're going to be over capacity."

"I'll be right there" I called back. I got up and caught sight of myself in the mirror from across the room. My eyes burned and my stomach churned slowly, and yet I felt nothing.

I just wanted to forget everything.
Jason looked up at me from where he sat on the floor. 
"Will you be able to handle it out there?" He asked as I tore my eyes from the mirror.

"I guess I'm about to find out."

I left the room and wasted no time making it to the Doctor's office. I wanted nothing more than to drown myself out with work.

I looked into the office and I took in the view. Doctor Jay had opened up the infirmary. Each bench was occupied by a pack member seeking medical attention. There was at least twenty wounded, and with the two aids, myself, and one doctor, I knew it was going to cause some strain.

Like a machine, I got to work. I washed gash after gash and treated silver burns worse than my own. The man that I worked on heaved with exhaustion, hanging his head as I worked on him. He hissed under his breath as I applied ointment to the burn and dressed it. The smell of blood was thick as I weaved past numerous benches to get a change of rags. The scent reminded me of Taurus and the thought burnt me as if I had touched a burning hot stove.

I landed beside Dr. Jay as he washed his hands fervently.
"Theres still another group yet to come" hissed Doctor Jay. The weight of the words bared down on my shoulders. We would have to open the second infirmary and make a run for the storage room to grab the extra inventory.

It wasn't every day we had to help someone who was effected by silver burns, let alone over twenty people. As if coming from the dead, the footsteps of the remaining patrol members filled the room and I felt my heart sink as I watched the group pour into the crowded facility.
"Leave me alone, tend to the others first!"
"But Alpha, please! That cut is too deep to leave any longer."

I glimpsed up, catching sight of Alpha Damian. His eyebrows pinched together as his hand swept away the Aid whom tried to clean his wounds. But Damian was in no place to refuse help. A long burn ran down from his neck to his blood splattered chest, ending only as they intersected with deep cuts over his stomach. Damian scanned the room until his daunting gaze landed on me.

I froze for a moment as his attention anchored its center. His blue eyes confidently peered at me from across the room and I paused. Damian watched me as if I was fresh prey—his sharp eyes were like that of a hungry predator as his chin tipped to the side slowly and I felt myself draw back.

Don't do this to me.
Not after what just happened last night.
Not after Taurus.

I couldn't afford to think about mates. I turned quickly, tearing my sight from Alpha Damian as I zeroed myself into my work. I looked at the wounded member laying in front of me as he grimaced from the pain of his deep wounds. I couldn't stay in here and help people like him if I couldn't concentrate.

"Doctor, he's not breathing!"
I turned quickly to the noise to see a group crowding a table and I shot forward immediately. I pushed through the crowd, and without a moment of hesitance I climbed onto the table, my hands pushing down on the mans chest as I began compressions. I could hear the room swarm as I pushed down, my hands pumping the chest below me. My shoulders burned and my chest strained as sweat beaded from my forehead and down my nose. My eyes pinched closed as I grimaced and I froze as he drew in a deep and ragged breathe.