Chapter 20

I smashed through the forest, sprinting as fast as I could, hitting Gray Blood's border quickly. My lungs pumped raggedly, my fever still very much present as I shot through the forest. I pressed harder the closer I got and I burst through the tree-line and shifted as I made it to the pack house.

I came through the front door and I faltered as I heard the sound of a car pull into the driveway. But without looking back, I shot off through the house as I heard footsteps quickly approach the door.

"Alec!" Rang the voice of Damian.
I cut through the hallway, racing and weaving through groups of people. I picked up speed and turned the corner, bumping into someone and smashing into the ground. I pulled up quickly and continued with my race, flinging open the door to my room. I turned quickly to close it but Damian's hand was already above mine and he pushed through the doorway, quickly closing it behind himself.

I scrambled backwards as my chest squeezed, my feet moving too fast for me to think and I fell back onto the bed as he followed after me.
"Alec, stop."
"D-Don't!" I cried as I pushed at him. "Get away!"
"Calm down, Alec."
Damian grabbed my wrists and pushed them down to the mattress.
"Damian, let go!" I yelled as I struggled.
"Quit, Alec!"
"Let go—let me go!"
I struggled harder but Damian only restrained me.
"I'm sorry."

I clenched my jaw as I pulled once more and Damian dipped his head down to my shoulder.
"I'm sorry, Alec. I'm sorry I left you—I didn't reject you."
My chest pumped as tears pricked my eyes.
"I could never reject you."
"But you left me!" I cried out painfully.
"I'm sorry—I couldn't control myself anymore. It was driving me insane."
"But I didn't—!"
"I know" whispered Damian. "I know you didn't. I'm sorry."
Damian pulled from my shoulder, his eyes flickering tensely with jealousy.

"I lost it and I'm sorry."
My shoulders fell and I pulled up, my arms wrapping around Damian as my forehead pushed into the crook of his neck. Damian pulled me in and my eyes squeezed shut.
"I love you, Alec."

I froze as a cry pierced through the walls of the pack house. Damians head quickly popped up and he pulled back, his eyes darting out the window. I recognized the cry of a creature immediately and watched Damian as he paused, placing his hand on my chest. My hands instinctively held onto him tightly.
"Stay here" he said as he sat up.
I pulled up quickly, my hands grabbing ahold of him once more before he could escape my fingertips.

"Don't go" I uttered immediately, the words tumbling out of my mouth. "Don't go Damian, please."
I just got him back.
"I have to" he said quietly, leaving my hands shaking. "Just wait here."
"No, Damian—please don't leave me again" I pleaded painfully.
"I'm not leaving you. I'll be right back."
Damian kissed my forehead, and stood up. He crossed the room and opened the door, yelling out down the hall for Jason.
I stood up quickly and came over to him as he turned back to me.

"Don't go" I pleaded once more as I held onto him. "Stay with me, please."

I couldn't let Damian go. I had a gut wrenching feeling about the howls that beckoned for him outside.

"Don't leave this room."
"But what if Dr. Jay needs—"
"No, you have a fever and I need you safe right now."
I paused, my chest tightening as I watched Damian hastily move to the door.

"B-But what if someone comes?" I stammered.
"Jason will be outside of the door" he answered as he placed his hand on the door knob.
I tailed after Damian quickly.
"Jason?"
"He'll stay with you in case something goes wrong."

"B-But—"
Damian turned suddenly, pulling me in and kissing me quickly. I staggered at the contact and Damian opened the door.
"Jason!" He called out once more.
"Damian—"
Jason came rushing down the hallway.
"Red Water's attacking the north border" said Jason quickly.
"I'll be there. Look after my mate."
Damian turned to me, his hand grabbing mine.
"Wait here for me."
Damian squeezed my hand, and with that, he left before I could let out another word.