☘︎︎𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐹𝑜𝑟𝑡𝑦 𝐹𝑖𝑣𝑒☘︎︎

☆゜·。。·゜゜·。。·゜★☆゜·。。·゜゜·。。·゜★

A bitter chill set into Addison's bones as she stepped into her and Bucky's shared penthouse.

"Sweet girl," Bucky called, peaking his head out of the second bedroom, pausing when he took in his wife's disheveled stated, wet hair sticking to her shoulders, a shiver racking through her body, "is everything alright?" He questioned, stepping out into the hallway. "Everything is fine Buck," Addison sighed, dropping the wet blanket into the sink before ringing it out, her voice was clipped, short answers making him uncomfortable. "Did everything go to plan?" He cautiously asked, slowly approaching the kitchen to see her palms pressed to the marble on either side of the sink. "Yes, it's handled."

She pulled away when Bucky got closer, crossing her arms to create a shield in front of her chest. "What happened my love? Are you hurt?" Bucky asked, his body keeping a considerable distance when she looked at him, making it apparent that she was indeed hurt. "How can I fix it?"

"Why have you never told me about your mother?"

"You know my mother Addison," Bucky sighed, running his hand through his hair, pushing a breath out of his lungs when Addison shook her head. "No, I mean Winnifred, why don't you tell me about her? Why did I find out what happened through Rebecca and not you?"

"Sweet girl-" Bucky murmured, being cut off as she rounded the island, creating more distance between them. "Don't, I don't want a bullshit excuse, you know everything about me, hell you had a file granted to you. And every time I think I get through to you, learning a new part of you, I find I know nothing." Addison's voice cracked, her hands immediately flying to her mouth to mute the sob that was threatening to rip out of her throat. "You know me better than anyone my love," Bucky whispered, rounding the counter, his hands slowly reaching out for her, relief washing through his chest when she allowed them on her shoulders, "I will tell you everything you want to know, go shower?"

Addison nodded, her eyes fluttering closed when he pressed his lips against her forehead.

She quickly walked out of the room, heading down the hallway and shutting the door behind her, a wet back pressing against the wood of the door. She realized the weight of her words too late, the hurt that flashed against Bucky's features momentarily when she said she didn't know him replayed in her mind. Addison knew she was the only person Bucky had let in, had allowed access to his heart.

Did she just fuck it all up?

Addison shook her head to stop the tears, she was tired of crying. Bucky kept that part of his heart guarded because it was sacred, just like her fathers death was sacred to her. Those last few moments with a parent when they are breathing defines a child, shapes how they continue to view the world. But her father had told her not to make a sound, she had found strength in those words all those years ago. And she would find strength in them once more. Bucky had said he would tell her what she wanted to know, and he had never given her a reason to doubt before, so he wouldn't start now. That much she was sure of.

She placed her palm on the cool hardwood, pushing off the floor and walking to the bathroom. The light flipped on, a gentle hum reverberating around the room, surrounding her. She reached inside the shower, turning the knob to the hottest setting before stripping off her muddy clothes, running her fingers through her hair. With a sigh she stepped into the scalding water, the mud melting off of her, running down the drain.   Addison washed her hair, scrubbing her scalp, the suds running down the drain before she cleansed her body, sinking to the floor to let the water run over her.

Addison sat on the floor until the water ran cold, only then did she raise to her feet, turning the water off and wrapping a towel around her.

When she entered the room, a smile curved on her lips.