Chapter 8

Sugar Mommy

Chapter Eight

Haru Norman

"How have you been, mi amigo?" The familiar blue eyed woman in front of me smiled.

Taking a sip of my coffee, I decide to not answer that question, and get directly to the point.

"You and I both know why we're meeting up today." I took a deep breath. "I agree to let you be my sugar mommy, but, only until I get back on my feet."

Dolores raised her hand up in surrender, a playful smirk dancing at the end of her lips. "I respect your independence, mi amigo."

"Let's talk about the salary." I deadpanned. 

"Sure," She smiled. "How about $15,000 a day?"

My eyes grew wide. "W-what? That's t-too much, I-I can't comprehend that!"

"It's not that much," She leaned closer to me, "But seeing as you need to work in a grocery shop, I understand why your so shocked."

"I'm not going to play along if you continue to insult me." I warned.

"Okay, okay." She laughed, holding her hands up in surrender again. "How about we remove a zero?"

"We could work with that." I shrugged, not against the $1,500 a day offer.

"Well, nice to meet you again, my dear sugar baby." She extended her hand to me for a handshake, as my face turned bright red in embarrassment.

"Lower your voice, ma'am." I whisper-yelled. "What will everyone else say?"

This caused Dolores to laugh. "I don't care about what everyone else will say. It's only your words that matter to me."

"But ma'am-"

"Don't call me ma'am." She interrupted me. "Just call me Dolores, or Doll."

"But Doll..." I hesitantly brought up the topic I most dreaded. "What do I do as your... s-sugar baby?"

"Why, you simply keep me company so I don't get lonely." She smiled. "Or you could do what your thinking of right now," Her smile became a smirk. "I don't mind either."

I froze before quickly snapping back to reality. "Keeping you company it is!" I exclaimed.

"Very well then." She stood up. "I have to go for now, but we will meet soon." She walked out the cafe, leaving me sitting there with my racing heart.

"It's times like these where we really pray that whatever we felt, wasn't love."

Two steps forward, one step back.

Nothing too fast

...right?

Dolores Miller

"Hermano, you called?" I entered my brother's room, where he was wearing his coat, seemingly about to leave.

"Yes, mi reina." He turned to me and smiled. "I want you to come with me to go hunting in the mountains this Friday."

"This Friday? But isn't that the day Mr.Black set up a meeting to discuss the contract?"

"I'm not sure I can make it this Friday, hermano." I said hesitantly. "I'm a little busy."

"It's not worth the argument." He stood up, walking towards the door. "You will come this Friday, and that's the end of it."

"I hate it when hermano does that!"

"He has his reasons. We have to cooperate with him, otherwise we'll make it harder for him."

"As you say, hermano." I nod my head as he gives me a smile and heads out the door.

I wonder where he's going...

~~~

I woke up with the desperate need for water.

Sitting up, I checked the time.

4:43 am.

I stumbled out of bed and walked towards the kitchen, passing by my brother's empty bedroom on the way.

Was he not home yet?

"Diana, did you talk to Duke today?" 

"I tried to, but he seemed preoccupied. So I thought he was busy and left him alone."

"I see,"

Where on earth is my brother?

I made it to the kitchen and opened the fridge, taking out the first bottle of water I saw, pouring the liquid in a cup before chugging a huge sip of it, and keeping it the cup in the sink.

I walked back to my room, and lied back on my bedroom, about to close my eyes when my phone buzzed, indicating a message from my father's brother, who I had lost contact with after my father's passing.

Uncle Diego:

Hello, Dolores.

It's good to hear that you're going to be your empire's first female ruler, though it is quite shocking as there are more capable people in your family to take over the throne.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of you ruling your people, and I know you're worthy of this position, but I'm just a little curious as to why your brother picked you over Pedro, Carlos, Manuel, and Louis. 

However, I do not disagree with your brother's decision. You are known to do anything for your brother.

I just hope you're sure your not being controlled by him. 

I stared at the message for a few moments, carefully processing what has just been said to me.

I had never taken in consideration that four of my cousins could be a better leader than me.

And why not?

Pedro is charming and well-liked by my people, and it is no secret that making him the leader would make many happy.

Carlos is a man of his words, and once he pledges to be the leader, everyone knows he will protect his pledge and the empire until his last breath.

Manuel is amazing with swords and guns, and we know if he becomes the leader, no one will dare look at the empire with greed.

As for Louis, he is a true leader who can, and will insure the safety and happiness of the people.

Then why did my hermano choose me?

"You're my only heiress..."

"My daughter, as a father I must warn you. Our empire is desired by many. Some of them, who have broken our walls as well."

"Hermano..." I whispered, not wanting to believe what was pacing through my head.

Tiredness overcame me as I let my sleep take my body, the last words lingering on my tongue that barely made sense to me due to exhaustion.

"It can't be."
"He cannot betray me."

"Hermano..."