Chapter 19

Sugar Mommy

Chapter Nineteen

Dolores Miller

It was a long walk.

Longer than I expected it to be.

But then again, I was in no right to expect anything.

I didn't know what I was in the right of anymore.

I was too lost in my thoughts, which was why I wasn't so surprised when I bumped into the giant creature that was leading me to Hades' territory.

"We're here, miss." He whispered, looking at me as if I was the most fragile being out there, as I'd break any moment.

Taking in the sight before me, I was presented with a river to which I couldn't find an end.

"Forgive me, miss. I cannot take you across this, as I'm not necessarily dead, thus, I cannot cross Acheron and Styx." He said, not in a whisper, but not very loud as well.

I glared at him.

"Do I seem dead to you?" I said, unreasonably angered, as I felt Diana growl.

"N-No, sire." His gaze fell to the ground. "But you cannot meet Hades until you pass Acheron and Styx, and you need a proper funeral for that."

My ears perked up to that.

"Proper funeral?"

"Yes, sire." He nodded. "It's a rule we dare not disobey. Once someone has passed Acheron and Styx, it's nearly impossible to revive them."

I slightly jumped when the sound of wood lightly bumped the shore.

I turned to see a ferryman, face hidden in his hood, looking directly at me, head slightly tilting as he held onto his oar.

After a moment, he turned to the mighty winged beast beside me, giving him a questioning stare.

"No, Charon." He seemingly confirmed the ferryman's thoughts. "She's not dead."

The ferryman turned to look at me again, before continuing to stare at the beast, as if asking what I was doing there.

"She's the descendant of Master Ezra." He explained. "She wishes to meet Master."

There was a pause before the ferryman's head turned right, then left, before repeating the action.

Diana was furious.

Maybe it was her emotions that I forced her to suppress that were finally bubbling out.

"I've never been denied by anyone." I clenched my fists, making both pairs of eyes snap toward me. "And I do not plan this to be a first."

"Dolores, I barely tell you to do anything, but this is my command. Not a request you can decline to." He calmly glared at me, tightening his hold on my wrist.

"I understand, Mistress, but the rules must be obeyed and--"

"Do you suggest that I simply kill myself to do what I came here for?" I glared at the being.

"No, Mistress." He shook his head, murmuring quietly.

"However," I spoke. "You said that we need a proper funeral to pass through this river?"

The ferryman nodded, watching me.

'We didn't have a funeral for him at all!'

'He must still be here!'

I held back a smile as Diana rejoiced, jumping up and down.

"I-Is anyone by the name of Haru Norman still here by any chance?" I muttered, my hands starting to shake.

"Haru Norman?" The winged being tilted his head. "I think I've heard the name." He said, thoughtfully, before turning to the ferryman. "What about you, Charon? You never forget the people that've ridden your boat."

The ferryman slowly nodded again, lifting his hand that was covered in a lost garment, pointing to the other side of the river.

My eyes grew wide as I realized what he meant.

"Looks like Sir Norman has crossed the river, just recently." He narrowed his eyes.

'Who gave a funeral for Haru when we weren't there?'

"Is there no way I can go to the other side? I need- I have to meet with Hades!" I pleaded, but seemingly to no avail. "How did Prince Ezra meet with him?"

There was a pause.

"This new rule was set, specifically after Master Ezra." The creature muttered. "We didn't want anyone following in his footsteps."

The ferryman turned to look at me, somehow making me believe that even though I couldn't see his eyes, he was disappointed that I'd try something like that. 

"There is no way, whatsoever, that can make me proceed to the other side?" I questioned, forcing hope to linger around my voice.

"Unless you're dead, I'm sorry." The creature bent his head gently, guilt lacing lightly in his voice.

I clenched my fists.

If I died...

No, that's not an option.

"Is there any way I can call him to come to me?" I asked, rather stupidly.

I turned to the creature, who looked at me with a look that screamed 'please, be serious, we're in the world of the dead right now.'

"What if I just swam through the waters?" I suggested, feeling a crazed look haunt my eyes. "O-Or, take a different route! Or perhaps, I could call Demeter to convince Persephone so Hades can come here!"

"Young Mistress!" The creature explained, a look of utter disbelief imprinted on his face. "I wish you could simply hear what you are saying right now! With all due respect, princess, if you possess no reason to be here, please leave. The world of the dead if not to be played with."

I was angry.

Not because of how he was talking to me, but because I knew he was right.

I felt so much at once.

I felt sad, grief-stricken, and perhaps even crazy.

Maybe because I've never thought of how I'd handle it if I ever go through something like this.

Maybe because I didn't know just how fast everything might come crashing down if I don't hurry to a conclusion.

Maybe because I didn't know just how much was going on behind my back as I'm here at this very moment.

Maybe its simply because I haven't let Diana out for what she might see as an eternity.

Or maybe it was just all of them.

"What about the animals?" I asked, desperately latching onto any last straw I could find. "Isn't there any animal that can help me cross?"

"Young Mistress, I--" He stopped, a wave of realization dawning on him. "You're from the Millers, aren't you? The new generation?"

"Do I look like I'm in my eighties?" I glared. "Or do I look deceased?"

"Pardon me, ma'am." He apologized. "But if you're from the new generation, you're not human, are you?"

That was it for Diana.

Someone finally recognized us as 'not normal.'

That was it for her, and I could feel her clawing her way out of me, far too powerful for me to control.

Or maybe it was simply me who gave her the power.

Just to see how far this would go.