Chapter 9

Sugar Mommy

Chapter Nine

Haru Norman

I lied on my bed, facing the ceiling with blank tears running down my cheeks.

"Mr.Norman, we have your mother stable, but there is a pretty good chance she won't make it."

"We're sorry."

I sighed.

I've been doing that a lot since... 

<Ding>
<Ding>
<Ding>

Dolores:

Lake Park
5:30 pm, sharp.
I'll be waiting.

I glanced at the clock.

5:17 pm.

Well, I guess duty calls.

~~~

"Haru!" Dolores smiled as I approached the bench she was sitting on. "Glad you could make it, mi amigo."

"I'll pretend we didn't see each other just yesterday, and pretend to be just as excited." I forced out a smile, taking a seat beside her.

"Still upset, huh?" She turned to me, still wearing that damned smile.

"I don't know, I just feel so..." I put my head back on the bench, not being able to put my finger on exactly what I'm feeling.

"Wanna go for a walk?" I looked up to see Dolores standing, her eyes wandering off to the sidewalk in front of the sun.

"Sure." I smiled, standing up as well as I followed her walking by the sidewalk.

"I'm sorry, but their after you."

"T-they as in Oliver Mathews and Ally Black? The two most powerful students in our campus?"

"Yes, mon ami."

I looked over at Dolores who was walking ahead, smiling to herself.

Should I tell her?

<Ring>
<Ring>
<Ring>

I checked my phone, but the call wasn't coming from my phone. It was Dolores's.

She gave the caller ID an annoyed glance, before reluctantly picking up the phone.

"Speak." She ordered to whoever was in the other side.

A faint mumbling voice came from the other side, adding to the already irritated expression she had.

"No, Jacob Black is merely a business partner." She sighed, no aware of my attention that was already in her conversation with whoever the person on call is. "Besides, whatever reason I have for forging business with him, isn't your concern."

A few mumbles was enough to make her speak again.

"Don't you get bored of being on my ass 24/7, Steven?" She growled in an almost wolf-like manner. "Do you hate your life so much that your trying to die so bad?"

A muffled laughter came from the call, followed by some more mumbles.

"I can't today." Dolores rolled her eyes. "I'm busy."

After some more mumbles, Dolores let out a frustrated exhale before saying anything farther.

"I already told you, Steven." She clenched her fists. "I'm not afraid to hurt a man. Also, you should know that when I say I'm busy, you are not to bother me. So I recommend you don't bother calling me back after I cut this call, because things will not be getting pretty."

With that, she hung up.

"A-are you okay?" I asked, hesitantly touching her shoulder comfortingly.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She turned to me, smiling as if she didn't just threaten a person over call. "Wanna get coffee?"

~~~

Currently, we were at a coffee shop, indulged by a comfortable silence as Dolores sipped her latte, lost in thoughts.

"Dolores?" I called to her, gaining absolutely nothing in response.

"Dolores?" I called again, not even receiving a move of a muscle in reply.

"Dolores!" I called, louder this time, finally snapping her back to reality.

"What is it, mi amigo?" She turned to me, setting her cup down to give me full attention.

"Do you... by any chance, know Ally Black?" I asked, curious.

"Her father is a partner, so yes, I know her." She leaned closer. "Why do you ask, me amigo?"

"She used to be my crush but she rejected me not too long ago."

"Is there any... specific reason you forged business with that Blacks?" I asked, nervous as to her response.

What if it were to limit my movement?

"I'm sorry, but their after you."

"Yes, there was a specific reason." She smirked, adding fuel to my already afraid fire. "They have strong business tactics and the contract will make them depend on my company, thus, they will be under my control. That way, my company will be stronger."

Thank heavens.

"I-I see." I took my gaze back to the coffee cup in front of me.

"Were you expected something else?" She rested her arms on the table, still smirking.

"N-no," I said, letting my gaze wander around the place, not making eye contact with the woman in front of me.

"Hmm..." She hummed in respond, letting another silence take over.

However, this time, her quiet attention was on me.