Chapter 18

Sugar Mommy

Chapter Eighteen

Dolores Miller

Time refused to move.

It's not like I wanted it to.

I was scared of what tragedy may come with time.

The bird kept on breathing, to my joy, but the tiredness in its movement showed no signs of its life anywhere near.

It confused me if I were stalling its death or if the Underworld Gods were just fucking with me and this poor creature.

Whatever the outcome was, it didn't seem very good.

My heart seemed to stop when the faint heaving of the bird's chest came to an agonizingly slow halt.

Is it time...

I looked up at the Blood Moon, shining as majestically as ever.

Well, it's worth a shot until the next Blood Moon, at least.

I scavenged through the trees and tore off the biggest leaf I could find in the limited time I had before grabbing anything rope-like that was strong enough to do the job.

What was I even doing?

I put the leaf over the chest of the bird and wrapped it around whatever it could cover the bird before tying the rope around it.

'Come on...'
'Please...'

Time had stopped once more and before I knew it, a crunching of leaves snapped me into my senses.

It was then that I saw the faint, black, single, wing-like feather fall in front of me.

It... worked?

"Miss?" A deep, smooth voice spoke from behind me, causing me to hold the bird close before standing up to face the creature.

Before me, stood a boy, no younger than about 27, with dark black hair that almost matched his attire and mighty wings. In fact, the only thing that set his body apart from his dark presence was his lightly tanned, white skin and bright red eyes.

It wasn't a human. That much was for sure.

"Y-Yes?" My voice came out soft, more delicate than its ever been.

"What are you doing here in such a red moon--" His wording was cut off when a mighty wind blew towards us, causing the hood that covered my face to fall. 

The creature stared at me skeptically for a few moments before something clicked and he spoke again.

"Pardon my unthoughtful stare, miss. You just share some very interesting similarities with someone." He smiled.

"Who is that someone?" I covered the bird further so he couldn't see it, thinking immediately of my brother.

"A young royal by the name of Ezra Miller." He said, thoughtfully pronouncing the name.

"I guess blood share similarities," I mumbled.

"I'm sorry?" He said, a bit too quickly as I confirmed that he definitely heard what I said.

"I'm Prince Ezra's descendant. Dolores Miller." I introduced as he hesitated. 

"Pardon me, but Master Ezra is of wolf blood." He clarified. "I'm not sure you..." He trailed off when I let my eyes glow dark red and let my sharp teeth show. "Are you of the newer generation?"

"Yes, I'm the great-granddaughter of the late King Easton. Prince Ezra's brother."

"Oh, aren't you the princess who lost her parents to the Minister?

"Yes, I am that Dolores Miller."

"I apologize for your loss, Mistress." He put his head down. "I've heard tales of your brother's rule, and that you're to be the next monarch. It's dismay that we've met in such a circumstance."

"Yes, i-it's unfortunate."

"I came to collect the soul of a bird, perhaps the location was given wrong... I apologize for the inconvenience, Mistress."

"A-Actually," I stopped him from turning around. "You're in the right location. The bird is with me."

"I see," He paused. "If you could just perhaps give me the bird so I could take its soul--"

"No!" I exclaimed before realizing that I had raised my voice. "I-I mean, yes, but I want something in exchange for giving you the bird."

"Pardon, you want something in exchange for an already dying bird?" He tilted his head in confusion.

"Apparently..."

"Well," He paused. "Who am I do deny the superior? Command your desire and I shall do anything I can to fulfill it."

"I'd like to meet with the god of death," I said, trying to sound confident.

There was silence.

"Mistress, I understand you'd like to redeem your parents but--"

"It's not about my parent!" I exclaimed. "You said you'd do anything you can to fulfill my desire, so stand by your word."

"If this isn't about your parents..." He trailed off before his eyes grew wide. "Is that it? Is it about your mate?"

"I do not possess a mate." 

"Oh, then is it about a mere human, like Sir Ezra? A human you possess feelings for?"

I froze.

"Stop blabbering and see what you can do."

"Um... a-as you wish, Mistress." He said, indicating for me to follow him.