Death By Scrabble persuasive paragraph

A husband and wife sit across from each other playing a game of Scrabble. This picture might sound perfect, however what readers soon realise is that the motives behind this normally innocent game are not as perfect as one might presume. Thankfully, Charlie Fish used foreshadowing effectively in his short story "Death By Scrabble," aiding readers to recognise the true motives behind this game. In said short story, the audience is given several hints towards the twist ending. For example, the use of "[his] wife [playing] CAUTION, [by] using a blank tile for the N. 18 points." (Fish 3) The use of the word "caution" in this short story signifies a warning given by the wife to the husband. It seems as if the wife realises that whatever she writes on the board happens in real life. Thus, the word she put down was "caution" to give a warning to her husband of what lies next and so, demonstrating foreshadowing for what might arrive next. Next, the use of foreshadowing is used when the narrator speaks of how his letters are not the best. He says, "I am awed by the power of the letters, and frustrated that I cannot wield it." (Fish 3) This example of foreshadowing is used to demonstrate how since the narrator cannot wield the power of the letters, he cannot accomplish his task of murdering his wife. Since he is not able to use the letters to his ability and use it as his strength, readers are given a hint that it is quite possible that the narrator will not be able to murder his wife as the letters are not in his favour. This excellent example of foreshadowing truly makes the readers see our narrator in another light and as a helpless man who will not be able to fulfill his true desires. In conclusion, Charlie Fish undeniably used foreshadowing effectively to display the twist ending in a hidden-in-plain-sight fashion.