Twelfth Night Rationale

For this task, I chose to compose a song to be put in the background of Viola's soliloquy in Act 2, Scene 2. The structure of the song was based on the emotions/concepts presented through that passage. For example, the song's genre is pop, which is shown with its electric piano and synthesiser utilisation. Pop was chosen because most pop songs are associated with love, and since the main idea of the soliloquy is love, a pop-influenced song is the best choice. Often, pop songs have the layout of "verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, bridge, chorus and outro." However, I used the format "chorus, verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, bridge, and chorus," because this play is unique with a plotline that, at that time, was never seen before. I also layered a lot of instruments to represent the love plot described when Viola says "My master loves her dearly;/ And I, poor monster, fond as much on him;/ And she, mistaken, seems to dote on me" (2.2.32-34). The layering of instruments is quite complex, just like the love triangle in the play. There is also quite a bit of use of synthesisers and disc jockeys, which are considered to be "fake" instruments as they can replicate other instruments. I believe that "fake" instruments were best because Viola could be considered a "fake" or an "imposter." As shown in Viola's soliloquy, "As I am [a] woman," Viola is a woman acting like a man, thus an imposter (2.2.35). These traits are shared with the instruments, making them vital in this song. Viola also showed some vulnerability during her soliloquy when she declared "Alas, our frailty is the cause, not we:/ For such as we are made of, such we be," (2.2.30-31). To highlight this, I used softer instruments for the bridge, like the electric piano and acoustic guitar, to demonstrate that vulnerability. In conclusion, I used a song to demonstrate the sentiments shown in Twelfth Night, specifically Viola's soliloquy, as I felt music was the best route to go. In the words of Duke Orsino, "If music be the food of love, play on" (1.1.1).