Democracy in the news

Article: 

"I would not be alive if I didn't not have a place to stay right now," said Vince Bajer, a sobering admission from someone who is experiencing homelessness in Kelowna.

Bejar is staying at the old Daily Courier building, which has been transformed into a winter shelter.

"I hear there's more room available for people, I'm just thankful I have a place to stay right now," Bajer said.

As the Okanagan settles into what will likely be the coldest week of the year, reaching temperatures of – 20 C and beyond, temperatures can be deadly for people experiencing homelessness, if they can't find shelter space.

Available shelter space is not as big of an issue as it's been in the past, according to the Kelowna Gospel Mission.

"The City of Kelowna has done a phenomenal job with BC Housing and Journey Home making sure we have quite a bit more space this winter for more people to come inside," said Carmen Rempel, Kelowna's Gospel Mission's executive director.

You would think because of the pandemic it would be harder to provide shelter services to those in need, due to social distancing issues, but the mission says the pandemic has had an opposite effect.

"COVID-19 is a bit of a blessing in disguise, when it comes to homelessness, because it's actually released a lot of extra funding," said Rempel.

"We've been able to open up extra shelter sites."

Even with the extra shelters around Kelowna, the John Howard Society said getting everyone inside is the priority, especially during this cold winter snap.

"If we can't get people indoors, people resort to all kinds of coping strategies to stay warm, including drinking," said Patricia Bacon, John Howard Society's Okanagan executive director.

"From a harm reduction lens, we want to get them indoors."

With frigid temperatures, the Kelowna Gospel Mission and the John Howard Society are asking the public for cold-weather clothing donations.

----------------

This article talks about how the extremely cold weather in Kelowna, British Columbia, has pushed homeless people into shelters. It talks about how COVID-19 has affected the homeless and ends with asking for donations. This article talks about multiple democratic elements. For example, the article talks about 'common good.' It talks about how people worked hard to keep shelters running during the COVID-19 pandemic while still remaining socially distant. It really shows how hard people have worked for the good of homeless people. Next, it highlights the 'being informed being involved' democratic element. Several times in the article, volunteers and donors are mentioned. This repetition subconsciously pushes people to get involved and help homeless people in this battle. Alongside, at the end of the article, it talks about getting cold-weather clothing donations. The article is now consciously pushing people to donate clothing to help. The article has informed people of the problem and is pushing them to get involved, as so many have already done. Finally, this article showcases the democratic element 'respect.' By donating and giving people shelter, we are respecting homeless people's right to have shelter. Since this article is talking about how Kelowna has increased shelters for homeless people, it showcases how respect is being demonstrated in the community and with the ask for donations, encourages others to showcase respect as well.

---------

Article:

Complaints of workplace harassment and violence have risen sharply at several federal departments and agencies in recent years, according to internal data.