Artist as Active Citizen

Name of song: No More Dream

Artist: BTS

Issue artist is trying to draw attention to: How young people don't follow their true dreams and instead follow the ones forced on them by society.

Significant lyric: "Stop telling me to switch paths, hey, take care of own business"

What lyric means to you: This lyric has a huge impact as it basically calls out society for forcing people to change their dreams. Often people hear "your dreams are too unrealistic" "they're impossible" "you should change your dream to something more stable" and that causes them to become unmotivated, lose all ambition and change their dream to something more approvable by society. This is extremely in most asian countries, such as South Korea where this group originates from. This lyric exposes society for not minding their business and forcing people to change their dream. It blames them for the unmotivated youth of today. It demands that they stop making people have no more dream.

Does the song make you want to get involved in the issue? If yes, what can you do? If no, why not?

Personally, this song makes me really want to get involved in the issue. As someone who is a youth of today who had their own true dreams crushed by society and became unfortunately one of the ambitionless youth mentioned in the song, hearing other's vocalise an experience I had is comforting. This song was this group's first song and since they came from a small company, they took a huge risk publishing this song because of South Korean (and Asian) society's strictness and how they don't publicise many of their societal issues. That reason alone makes me want to get involved in this issue. A small group from an even smaller company took such a huge risk verbalising this social issue and not supporting them and making the change that they called for pains me. However, the change is not easy. Losing all motivation and having to regain it is hard. Having to ignore all of the words society said and will continue to say is hard. Finding the will to follow my true dreams is hard but a song like this, that shows that I am not alone and following my dreams is possible (as the group went on to become /huge/ and had basically come from nothing).