Criminal Law Case

Crown: "Your Honour, the defendant, James Wallis, has been charged with violating section 333.1 of the Criminal Code, which criminalises motor vehicle theft. The evidence will show that a red 2020 Corvette was stolen on the morning of February 4th. The next day the defendant was arrested driving the stolen car. The defendant's fingerprints were on the keys used to steal the car. The evidence I present will prove to you that the defendant is guilty as charged."

Defence: "Your Honour, during this trial, you will hear no real evidence against my client. You will come to know the truth: that James was just riding in a car stolen by someone else. After finding out that the car was stolen, he was just trying to do the morally right thing by returning the car to its owner. Therefore my client is not guilty, under section 335(1.1) of the Criminal Code, which states that anyone who is unknowingly driving a stolen vehicle is not guilty of theft.

Judge: "The prosecution may call its first witness."

Crown: "The prosecution calls the owner of the Musk Car Sales, Mathew Musk."

*Mr. Musk comes to the stand*

Crown: "Mr. Musk, were you working at the Musk Car Sales on February 4th."

Matthew: "Yes, I was."

Crown: "Was one of the cars you had for sale a red 2020 Corvette, with the licence number AC1234?"

Matthew: "Yes. That car was set to be sold at 1pm on February 4th."

Crown: "On the night of February 3rd, was the car still in the Musk Car Sales parking lot?"

Matthew: "It was there when I closed."

Crown: "And when did you discover the car to be missing?"

Matthew: "I normally inspect a car an hour before we need to sell it to make sure there are no issues with the car. When I went to check on the car at noon, it was no longer in the parking lot."

Crown: "Did you file a stolen car report with the police?"

Matthew: "As soon as I called the buyers and told them what happened, I filed the report."

Crown: "Had you given anyone, including the defendant, permission to take or drive the Corvette?"

Matthew: "No, I did not."

Crown: "Thank you, I have no further questions."

Judge: "Does the Defence wish to ask any questions?"

Defence: "Not at the moment, your Honour."

Judge: "The witness is dismissed. The prosecution may call the next witness to the stand."

Crown: "We would like to call up the arresting officer, your Honour."

*Officer John comes to the stand*

Crown: "Officer John, where were you the night of February 4th 2022?"

Officer: "I was patrolling the highway QEW."

Crown: "Did you observe a red 2022 Corvette with the licence plate AC1234?"

Officer: "Yes, I pulled that vehicle over since it matched the description of a stolen vehicle we had been alerted about. I ordered the driver, the defendant, to step out and arrested him. Then I searched the car."

Crown: "What did you find in the car?"

Officer: "I found the keys in the ignition and Mr. Wallis' phone."