The Fall of a City Questions

Question: What is the effect and purpose of the final passage, particularly in comparison to the first six paragraphs of the short story? The passage reads, "The city was as he had left it. Yet everything had changed. Always before when he had come here, his flesh had tingled, his eyes shone with excitement. Now there was only a taste like that of spoilt nutmeat."

The effect and purpose of the final passage in comparison to the first six paragraphs is to emphasise the theme, the power of words and how they affect people. In the first six paragraphs, Teddy's eyes fill with excitement, emphasising his positive mood (Nowlan 37). In contrast, in the final passage the author portrays Teddy as upset and hurt, to the point where he is "crying [as] he finished tearing [the city] to shreds" (Nowlan 37). The change is caused by one action, the horrid words of Teddy's uncle. His words cause Teddy's safe-place to be filled with broken dreams and pain, awakening negative emotions within Teddy. The final passage shows the drastic change in the environment of the attic and Teddy's character, all caused by Teddy's uncle's words, reinforcing the theme of the short story. 

Question: Why do you think Teddy destroys his paper world at the end of the story? Why is this symbolic?

Teddy destroys his paper world because of the pressure he gets from his aunt and uncle ridiculing him. He feels anger and frustration towards them both. However, he can not lash out at them because Teddy's aunt and uncle are portrayed to be very dictatorial towards Teddy by threatening him, saying, "You better not be, not if you want to be able to sit down the rest of the week" (Nowlan 34). Him destroying his imaginary world symbolizes the end of his "childishness" and an awakening to reality. This moment is a pivoting point in his childhood as his entire personality and characteristics change due to this traumatizing event; and since his aunt and uncle play a large role in influencing his future, Teddy's mindset would gradually change. This scene shows Teddy truly accepting the fact that his aunt and uncle would never accept his only sanctuary, his imaginary paper world.