Three

Warning: angst.

-Hedy-

"Are you ready?"

"Yes."

Mira and I were standing in front of room thirteen, hesitant to open it. This morning, I smelled a horrible stench coming from the third floor of the apartment complex, so I asked Mira to come with me to investigate. Looking around to make sure no one was around us, I unlocked the door, using my hairpin.

Opening the door, we noticed a woman was lying dead in her bed; black blood staining the sheets. The smell was overwhelming for Mira, since she had her nose covered. Closing the door behind us, we walked closer and saw that her throat was ripped opened; the wound looking like a rabid animal attack.

Suddenly, I remembered seeing that black substance one night when I was working. My heart rate went up as I started to tremble.

"Mira—"

Mira's flip phone rang. She looked at me before answering it.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Carter?"

I continued to look at the woman's wound; they didn't look like a vampire's canines, but they looked bigger and longer, almost like a soul eaters.

Mira got finished talking on the phone with Nick's parents. She ran a finger through her black-streaked hair as she looked at me.

"We have to go pick Aaron up at the airport. He's staying with us for a couple of days because of the funeral" she sighed. My stomach immediately dropped. I remember overhearing Mira's conversation with Nick's parents about the group's private funeral and that his brother needed to stay with Mira since she was his babysitter.

"What if he knows who I actually am?"

"You're going to use your fake name. Don't worry about that, Hed."

"Okay. Let's go get Aaron."

———————

Mira and I stood near the airport pickup section, waiting for Aaron to arrive. Mira wrapped her coat around her body, shivering while I just had my hands in the pockets of my coat, not affected by the coldness whatsoever.

"Oh, what were you going to tell me when we were in that woman's room?" She whispered.

"I think they might back" I replied.

"How? You killed them, remember?"

Before I can reply, a teenage boy walked towards our direction, resembling a lot like Nick, but taller and lacking the middle part in his hair. He was wearing loungewear, carrying a duffel bag and rolling a suitcase. He smiled sadly at Mira.

"Hey buddy. Long time, no see," she said, embracing him in a big hug, ruffling his blond hair. "This is Jeanne, my roommate."

I waved at Aaron, who waved back in response.

"Let's get home before it starts snowing again"

The three of us left the airport and piled up in the taxi cab, staying silent throughout the ride.

———————

After we ate dinner and showered, me, Mira, and Aaron were on the couch, looking at pictures of the band when they were alive. They could've been a successful group, until November 1997 struck and ruined everything. The bodies of the actual group were burned into my mind, along with the whole ordeal. It honestly felt like a bad nightmare.

I saw a certain picture that caught my eye; it was Nick holding Aaron when he was little, both of them smiling and happy. Sniffles were heard as Aaron cried in Mira's arms, hugging him tightly.

"I miss him. I miss him so much" he sobbed.

Little did he know, his brother's spirit was watching over him.

Just not the good one.