One

January 2001

-Hedy-

The chilly air hit my face as I stashed my hands into my coat, waiting for the subway to arrive. I had just got off work early since they were calling for a snowstorm; supposedly six to eight inches, so they canceled work for the rest of the week. I was happy with it, now I get to sleep in and snack on some blood bags.

Ever since I became a vampire, I've been accepting my new lifestyle, except I'm not killing anybody and raising the body count; instead, I'm drinking from blood bags and mastering my powers. Besides, I really don't like killing people, especially when I was held captive at the castle, but it's what they deserved for killing the band, my sorority sisters, and my housemother. My heart still aches for them til this day.

The subway finally appeared, the passengers getting on the train, including me. Throughout the ride, I felt people looking at me, but I just brushed it off, adjusting my sunglasses.

—————

I finally arrived at the apartment I shared with Mira, who was still doing her research about the England vampire attacks. I took my coat and sunglasses off as I spoke to her.

"Mira?"

She looked up at me, sighing. "Oh thank god you're here, Hedy."

"Are you still reading about those attacks?" I asked her, walking into my bedroom and grabbing a fresh blood bag from my mini fridge. I stood next to Mira as I sipped on my dinner.

"There was one just a minute ago," she replied, enlarging the screen so I can see better. "This time, there was five vampires, probably those two dudes' friends."

Five vampires? No, you killed them. Remember that, Hedy.

"What did those two guys looked like again?"

"One had dark wet hair and one had blond hair similar to Nick's"

My mind immediately recognized their faces; their names were Abz Love and Scott Robinson from a boy band called 5ive. I knew about them because Cheryl would usually play the song When the Lights Go Out before she went to bed.

"It's 5ive. You know, the band that sung When the Lights Go Out?"

"That damn song Cheryl used to play every single night?" Mira said, rolling her eyes.

I chuckled. "Yeah, but you got to admit, that rap part was really good."

She nodded. "Great, now another group of vampires are roaming around."

"Or maybe there's something worst than vampires. We'll never know."

Mira got up from the chair and headed to her room. "I'm going to bed. Goodnight, Hedy."

"Goodnight."

As I finished my dinner and got settled into bed, certain lyrics from the song played in my mind as I fell asleep.

I'll show you what it's all about.

Babe, I swear you will succumb to me.

So baby come to me.

When the lights go out.