Chapter Sixteen

The group lowered their weapons as soon as they saw it was El, they were silent as Mike pushed his way through and hugged El

The group lowered their weapons as soon as they saw it was El, they were silent as Mike pushed his way through and hugged El. Everyone but Hopper looked confused though it was quickly brought to everyone's attention that he's been hiding her since last year. Hopper took Mike to the other room so that they could talk.

Steve bumped his elbow into Kat's to get her attention. "Is that..." He started to whisper.

Kat nodded her head. The pair watched as El went up to Dustin and Lucas first, commenting on Dustin's teeth, and brushing off Max before stopping in front of Kat. The pair grinned at each other before Kat gave her a hug. Stepping back, she turned El towards Steve. "El this Steve, he helped us last year with a demogorgon. Steve this is El, do I need to say more." El tilted her head at Steve giving Kat a weird look, causing Kat to chuckle a little as the reaction. El then moved on to Joyce, giving the mother figure a big hug as Joyce started crying and taking El to see Will.

Steve gawked as El walked away from him, making Kat laugh even more. "Did she just..." Steve couldn't finish his sentence as Kat reached behind him and patted his back. Knowing at that moment she loved El even more than before. "You just got dissed by a 12-year-old."

Eventually, Mike, Hopper, El, and Joyce all returned to the front room to go over the plan for closing the gate. Hopper informs El that it's gotten larger than before and how the place is crawling with demo-dogs. The next problem was Will; if the brain dies the body dies, Will is a part of the Mind Flayers' army, and if the gate is closed it will kill Will.

Joyce comes up with the idea of making Will's body uninhabitable for the Mind Flayer, making it flee the body then so they can close the gate. Nancy suggests that they burn it out of him since the Mind Flayer likes it cold, but they would have to do it somewhere the Mind Flayer or Will doesn't know about. Hopper tells Joyce to go to his cabin, no one is by him and El knows of the location. While Hopper went with El to close the gate, Joyce and Jonathan would be with Will.

As Joyce and Jonathan work together to gather Will; Steve tells Nancy to go with them. "I may be a pretty shitty boyfriend, but... turns out I'm actually a damn good babysitter. Plus, I have Kat, these shitheads listen to her."

The ex-couple shared a look before Nancy headed off with the Byers; as Steve joined Kat in the house with all the kids. Kat kneeled down in front of El so that they were at eye level. "You better return or I will be going in to drag you out myself." El grinned at the older female before hugging her again. Kat stood up and watched as Mike made his way toward El; Kat rolled her eyes as she made her way toward the rest of the kids.

As the two groups left, Kat and Steve were left with the remaining kids. And since Dustin started bonding so well with Steve, he insisted on saving the dead demo-dog for science. Watching the two of them trying to shove it into Joyce's fridge had to be one of the funniest things she has witnessed in the last 48 hours. Her eyes flickered back over to Mike who was pacing the living room, annoying Lucas as they cleaned up the broken glass.