Chapter Thirty-Two

The group made their way back out to Steve's car, none of them wanted to stay in the house any longer than necessary since they didn't know if Vecna was still in the house and if he could hear them from the other side

The group made their way back out to Steve's car, none of them wanted to stay in the house any longer than necessary since they didn't know if Vecna was still in the house and if he could hear them from the other side. In the car, they all started to brainstorm what they were going to do and how to get Max and Eddie out of trouble. But nothing they came up with was a solid idea.

Remembering Eddie, they stopped by the market to pick up his favorite snack while Kat, Dustin, and Lucas stayed in the car out of sight of Jason and his friends. Before they did that though they drove back to Nancy's house to pick up her car so they weren't cramped in Steve's BMW. Afterwards, as they were making their way back toward Rick's house with all the snacks and beer for the metalhead.

"Why didn't we bring Nancy's car, to begin with?" Dustin asked from the back with Steve, the loud crunch of a pringle could be heard throughout the Wheeler wagon.

Kat sighed loudly, looking back toward her brother and boyfriend. "Because Steve wanted his car to be important for once." She sat in the middle with Max and Lucas.

"Guys, what are we going to tell Eddie? I can't stand to see those dull eyes of Eddie's break again. I really, really can't." Robin spoke up from the front seat beside Nancy as she looked towards the back.

"At least he can drink himself into feeling better. That's what my mom does." Max muttered. Kat frowned at her words.

"Why don't we give it a trial? 'Hey, Eddie. Uh, good news first this time. We got you some Dustin and Kat-approved junk food and that six-pack you requested. Oh yeah, and we found Vecna. The bad news is that he's in that other, darker, much scarier dimension, and the gate's closed, so we have no way of getting to him. He's entirely shut off to us, so basically you're screwed. And, no, I know you were already screwed, but now you're doubly, triply screwed. ---" Robin started rambling out loud.

Kat cut her off. "Maybe we don't put it like that."

Nancy nodded her head in agreement. "Kat's right. 'We're one step closer to finding Vecna.' That's what we say. That's what's important. The rest is just going to confuse him."

"See, Robin? A positive spin can make all the difference." Kat said in a perky tone.

Robin slowly nodded her head. "Uh-huh."

Max and Lucas perked up as they leaned forward looking out the windshield. "Oh shit." They said at the same time.

Nancy pulled the car over on the side of the road before they got out to get a closer look at what was happening.

"Nothing to see. -- Just step back a little." Officer Callahan ordered everyone.

Not too far from the group stood a reporter with Sheriff Powell. "As many of you know, the Roane County line received a call a little after midnight reporting a homicide here on the lake. Officer Callahan here and myself arrived first on the scene. We made our way to the shore of Lover's Lake, about ten yards from that house you see behind me. It was there that we found the victim, an 18-year-old senior from Hawkins High, Patrick McKinney. --"