Chapter Twenty-Six

Dustin opened his bedroom door with a yawn, he shuffled his feet as he walked towards the kitchen, walking past the living room

Dustin opened his bedroom door with a yawn, he shuffled his feet as he walked towards the kitchen, walking past the living room. "Morning Steve." He stopped in his tracks before backtracking when he notices the sofa was bare of the older male. "Steve?" Dustin then went on a mission to look for his friend; knowing his friend didn't have his car, he had to be somewhere in the house, sighing to himself he went to go ask his sister, "Kat, have you seen..." He stopped in his tracks when he saw both Kat and Steve still asleep on the bed, Kat curled into Steve's side as he held her, her cast arm stretched over Steve's stomach. Smiling to himself, Dustin walked back out of the room and grabbed the polaroid camera from the living room, walked back into Kat's bedroom, and snapped a picture of the pair.

Eventually, Steve and Kat woke up to the smell of a cooked breakfast, both stretching as they left her bedroom. Claudia had the morning news on as she stood in the kitchen cooking breakfast; she smiled at the two and placed a plate of eggs, bacon, and toast for each of them. Claudia took a sip of her coffee. "Katherine, Ted Wheeler dropped your car off this morning. Complained it was blocking his driveway; had to tell him that you'll make his favorite cookies."

Kat nodded her head, "Yeah, I'll get on that later."

Before Dustin could start his teasing, the room went silent as the news anchor on the tv announced that one of the people who died in the fire was Police Chief Hopper. Kat dropped her fork at the news, as Dustin and Steve shared a look. They didn't hear the news last night as they were at the hospital. The trio quickly finished eating, before getting dressed and heading out toward the Byers' residence. Dustin explained to their mother that they needed to see Mrs. Byers and check on their friend who Officer Hopper adopted. Walking out the front door, Kat threw her keys to Steve, not wanting to attempt to drive just yet with her arm.

Pulling up to the Byers' house, as soon as Steve put the car in park the Henderson siblings jumped out of the car. "How many times have I told you guys not to do that?" Steve chastised them like a parent.

Walking up to the door, Joyce had already opened it hearing the car pull into the driveway. "Oh, Kat." Joyce had heard from Jonathan and Will how Kat tried to defend El in the mall, Joyce also brought Steve into a hug thanking him for saving her boys as well, and of course, she has to thank Dustin for what he did while she and Hopper were in the Russian base. Joyce had ushered the trio into the house, Joyce informed Kat that El was in the back bedroom.

Knocking on the door that was already three inches open, Kat stepped inside, finding the younger girl curled up on the bed, Will sitting beside her. "Hey..." She said as she moved to sit beside her, El looked up, wiping her eyes as she sat up. The moment that Kat sat down, El curled into the older teen. The two sat in silence as El curled into her arms crying off and on, Kat lightly rubbing her back. At one point Dustin and Steve joined them and sat beside El.

A Week Later

Kat was beyond nervous about her date, it's not like it was her first date ever, but it was with Steve. She didn't want to screw this up, because if this got screwed up then she could possibly lose her best friend. She had to keep reminding herself to get out of her head and to think positive. She had decided to go casual since Steve hadn't told her any of his plans, starting to get frustrated with herself as she didn't know what to do with her hair. She groaned loudly.