Chapter Twenty-Two

The group stood there for a moment longer before the exhaustion hit Kat and El, Kat moved to lean against the wall as El leaned into Mike

The group stood there for a moment longer before the exhaustion hit Kat and El, Kat moved to lean against the wall as El leaned into Mike. Kat reached into her pocket and tossed her car keys at Max, trusting the redhead to drive. None of them needed to exchange words as they piled into the car and went back to Mike's house. The pain in her throat started to hit her.

They gathered in the Wheeler basement, Will handing Kat a glass of water and a cold cloth to wrap around her now bruising throat. They sat with the group as El went back into the void to search for Hopper. To which El discovered that he and Joyce were hitchhiking to Illinois. The girls went into the bathroom to clean El up. Using a cloth, Kat cleaned up the blood around El's nose, handing the dirty cloth to Max; she got a clean one and started over again.

El reached up to touch the bruise on her neck, Kat stopped her before she did, shaking her head. Trying to warn her not to do that. Max looked over both of their necks. "Does it still hurt?"

Kat and El nodded their heads, "Only when I talk." El voiced out softly. El grabbed Kat's hand and squeezed it. "Thank you again."

Kat gave her a warm small smile. "Thank you. You saved my ass as well."

Max looked at the two. "Well, it's a good thing you're not Mike, then. 'Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.; And you'd be in constant pain." This caused the girls to chuckle.

The girls quietened down as they listened closely; they could hear the boys talking in the next room. Hearing that El dumped Mike she looked impressed at the younger girl. "You dumped Mike?" Holding her hand up, El gave her a high five.

Max was listening to them closely, not agreeing with what they were saying. "It wasn't! --- You guys do realize we can still hear everything you're saying, right?" The girls started laughing again. Kat heard another voice through the door, upon hearing it she opened the door and stepped out spotting Jonathan and Nancy. As soon as Kat spotted them, she ran over to them and hugged them both.

Nancy took a look at Kat's neck, noticing the bruising. "Kat! Your neck, what happened?" Nancy looked at the group of young kids, noticing how beat-up El looked as well.

Mike and the rest of the gang stood behind her. "We have a lot to tell you about."

The entire group sit in the Wheeler basement going over everything that has happened the last few days, Nancy's eyes kept flickering to the bruising on Kat and Els neck as the boys talked. Kat had to stop the youngest girl from touching it every so often. Nancy and Jonathan then told the group about what happened at the hospital with Mrs. Driscoll; that the woman was originally complaining about some rabid rats that had eaten several bags of fertilizer that she had stored and when they went back later to check on the elderly woman, they found her in the basement of her home eating fertilizer. Nancy then visited her in the hospital and found Mrs. Driscoll with black veins all over and reminded her of what happened to Will last year. Nancy was able to snag her hospital chart before leaving and brought it with her, Kat was looking over it with Will beside her.