Chapter Twenty-Four

The Fourth of July fireworks could be heard from Hopper's cabin as El started to tell the group what she encountered in the void; everyone surrounded her except for Kat who was on alert as she looked out the cabin windows

The Fourth of July fireworks could be heard from Hopper's cabin as El started to tell the group what she encountered in the void; everyone surrounded her except for Kat who was on alert as she looked out the cabin windows. "He said he was building something. -- That it was all for me." El explained to them.

Max looked confused. "Building something? Is he talking about the flayed?"

"He must be," Nancy spoke up.

"So, he's building an army, just like we thought." Lucas pointed out.

Mike shook his head. "Yeah, but he's not building this army to spread."

"He's building it to stop Eleven." Will agreed with Mike, remembering his encounter with the Mind Flayer.

Mike continued. "Last year, El closed the gate on him. I have a feeling that really pissed him off. And the Mind Flayer now knows that she's the only thing that can stop him. But if she's out of the way--"

Lucas finished his sentence. "Game over."

"He also said he was gonna kill all of you," El spoke up once again.

Max scoffed loudly. "Yeah, well, that's nice."

Standing at the window, Kat started to hear something besides the bangs from the fireworks, a sound that started to get louder. Her eyes flickered to every shadow outside. "Shhh." She hushed the group. The sound came again, sounding louder than it did before. "Do you hear that?"

"It's just fireworks," Jonathan said not hearing it.

Kat heard the sound again; a thought came to her. "Billy..." She looked back at El. "When he told you all of this, it was here, in this room?" Nancy got the same idea as she looked between the two girls. El started to nod her head.

A loud thud was heard outside as Will gasped and touched the back of his neck. "He knows we're here." He said in alarm.

Kat opened the front door, running outside as the gang followed behind her; fireworks lit up the sky and the screeching grew louder as well as the thuds. Nancy races the shed around the side of the cabin, while Kat orders the kids back in the house as she grabs her ax from the kitchen table. Nancy comes back into the house holding a shotgun. Jonathan and the kids start to barricade the windows as they prepare themselves for a battle; the older boy grabs a knife from the kitchen so he has a weapon as well.

The older teens order the kids to stand in the center as they stand shoulder to shoulder around them. Kat positions herself to stand directly in front of El, wanting to defend the girl with every fiber of her body. The cabin is silent as they listened for the faint rumbling as it gets louder and louder with each passing second. The wall lamps and the glass dishes shake with each thud. Will rubs the back of his neck. "It's close." He whispers so only they could hear in the silent room.

Dust sprinkles from above from the ceiling with each approaching thud. A glass mug shatters on the ground in the kitchen. "Where'd it go?" Max whispers once the room goes silent from the thuds.