Chapter Twenty

Kat wasn't lying when she told Steve that she had an early shift, in order for her to get off early to hang out with the girls she had to get the morning shift, which mainly included setting everything up for the later crew and just dealing with s...

Kat wasn't lying when she told Steve that she had an early shift, in order for her to get off early to hang out with the girls she had to get the morning shift, which mainly included setting everything up for the later crew and just dealing with some of the elderly who loved early showings.

Since she started her shift early, that meant she got an earlier break; a break that for once did not have Steve. Instead, it was a solo Robin running Scoops Ahoy. "It's my favorite sailor."

Robin did a fist pump. "I knew it! Suck it, Harrington!" Kat laughed as she moved to sit behind the counter. Robin made up a strawberry shortcake waffle cone and handed it to Kat knowing that was one of Kat's favorite flavors. "So... what's going on between you and Steve?" Robin asked after she cleared the line.

Kat froze in mid-lick. "Nothing, we are friends. He saved my ass and I saved his."

Robin slowly shook her head in disagreement. "No, don't think so. -- I've seen you with friends, I've seen him with... he... he doesn't have friends, he has children. Steve 'The Hair' Harrington claims to be so smooth with the ladies; crashes horribly when chatting up every girl in here. But the moment your name is brought up or you show up, I see the smooth Steve that I've seen in school. Not a stuttering or the cringiest person to walk the planet.

Kat shook her head. "Robin, you're seeing things; Steve is not into me. We are friends. We have been through unimaginable shit together, stuff I really don't want to talk about, so that obviously has brought us together. Plus, there's Dustin, who sort of brought the friendship together."

Robin was leaning against the counter. "Just because you are friends, doesn't mean the feelings are not there. Just telling you what I am seeing. Calling it now. Even Dustin brought it up yesterday; so it's not just me."

Scoops started getting busy again and Kat's break was ending soon; finishing up her ice cone she made sure to give Robin a hug before heading back off to work. Slowly the theater started to pick up; standing at the theatre entrance she felt like she was being watched. Looking around, she didn't spot anyone immediately, but at the last minute, she spotted a bright navy-blue uniform and brown hair ducking down on the second-floor balcony. Pursuing her lips as she swears, she saw her brother beside the familiar figure. Shaking her head she went back to her work task, which was ripping ticket stubs.

When her shift ended, she went back down to Scoops Ahoy spotting Robin still behind the counter who looked bored out of her mind. "Steve left you alone again?" Before Robin could answer her, the boy in question and her brother came running into the ice cream parlor, both out of breath. "Hey Kat." He dragged out the hey.

Kat looked at the trio but focused on Dustin and Steve, she pointed her finger at both boys, "Something is going on." The boys in question immediately started to deny the allegation, talking over each other and just trying to blow the idea off. Kat waved her hand. "Shut up! -- As long as someone isn't dying or any other worldly crap, I don't care." She turned to Robin, pointing a finger at her. "Please make sure Dustin doesn't die."