Chapter 4 - Sticks and Stones

The quest was simple, but Technoblade knew how nothing in any world was as simple as it looked. Punching leaves and dirt for sticks and pebbles might seem easy, but he knew better. With the admin's mail about the five status bars, it must be some kind of ploy to trick him into spending precious energy.

Technoblade had no food, shelter, armour, or means to fight hostile mobs. He was very killable. Even if he could outsmart the mobs that would spawn at night, he was still very vulnerable to unknown factors. He had to resolve the energy issues as soon as possible, but apart from that sheep he saw when he first awoke, there wasn't much around to help him resolve his issues. Technoblade did not want to risk his health by punching a sheep to test the theory. Hence, he came to a logical compromise.

He would only punch just enough leaves and dirt to find all the materials he needed to complete the quest with the least movement he could.

Technoblade scanned the biome he spawned in and looked at the squarish sun. It was approaching noon, and he had not made any significant progress. Any wise man would try to kill two birds with one stone. Hence, Technoblade did what any wise man would have done and started punching dirt first.

Punching dirt gave Technoblade several things. Firstly, he was able to confirm that he indeed had an inventory. Secondly, he now knew that not all dirt blocks dropped pebbles. He only got his first pebble on the third dirt block he punched. Also, every dirt block took him two seconds to mine by hand. It wasn't long, but it was critical in deciding if he could dig downwards in the middle of the night when he was ambushed by mobs. Also, dirt can sometimes drop things like seeds. Lastly, mining twenty dirt blocks by hand increased his fatigue by one, hunger by two and thirst by one point.

"Thankfully, I have all the dirt I would ever need to build a temporary shelter by nightfall," he grinned. "Technoblade lives another day!"

The crowned pig-human looked at the nearby tree with over ten pebbles in his inventory. It was possibly the only tree in the vicinity of his spawn area, and Technoblade did not want to eradicate its wonderful existence. He was not confident about getting all the ten sticks by punching all the leaves of one tree. Like pebbles, they might not be a guaranteed drop.

There wasn't much to miss in his spawn biome. There were only flowers and a dumb-looking sheep, nothing he would miss if he left this area. Technoblade thought for a while. Thankfully, there were several useful resources he could plunder before leaving permanently.

"They didn't say anything about catching fishes, did they?" he mused. "They don't look as sturdy as the sheep. I could try."

Back in Minecraft, fishes were a one-punch kill thing. Unless it was a pufferfish, there was nothing to worry about. The only problem was swimming around to murder them. His hunger would rise considerably. However, that problem could easily be solved by cooking his catch after completing his quest. He could easily harvest the wood needed for cooking them with the stone tools later.

"Back to basics, huh?" Technoblade smirked. "I'm returning to my roots and humble beginnings, but I'm not against the grind."

Technoblade was always known for his insane PVP skills and incredible tactics since he started making videos for his Youtube channel. He could play Minecraft using a steering wheel console, get full netherite armour in record time, save Philza from baby zombies and conquer the world. However, he never had a fun and relaxed 'Let's Play' series in survival. It was always a random video about him messing around on Hypixel and stabbing bad players while talking about life and making memes. Occasionally, he would do something else with a little more story sense in some short series, but no series was dedicated to story-telling.

"Maybe it is time for a change," he mused as he took a deep breath and plunged into the river to catch his dinner.

Smacking the salmon felt like bullying. They stood zero chance against his powerful slap and turned into a dropped carcass that automatically entered his inventory. In theory, if he smacked enough of these salmon, they should occasionally give him something good that would help his random seeds grow quicker. Unfortunately, the six salmon he punched did not give him any bones or bone meal. It was a shame but not entirely unexpected.