Chapter 5 - Branching Off

The mountains were calling him. He could feel it.

Technoblade rejoiced at the sight of greenery. It was still night, and he had no intention of sleeping until he absolutely had to. The stamina he had remaining would be just enough for him to reach the mountain region. He knew he had to learn the tool recipe soon, but he refused to craft any tools until it was daytime so that mobs would not spawn and attack him when he was without armour.

The walk was far, and Technoblade realised what living in Aftercraft meant. Minecraft days went by relatively fast. A day and night cycle took about twenty minutes, and most time, a game day lasted only ten minutes if he slept the night off. However, in Aftercraft, he had to painfully experience slow progress for the full length of time. It was a test of willpower that he was unsure he had. Procrastination was a skill he had superior to his PVP abilities.

He could see the mountain in the distance, and although he did not feel the physical burn of muscles or shortness of breath after sprinting for a considerable amount of time, Technoblade did not seem to be able to reach it.

As the sky changed from dark to a pinkish hue, signalling dawn, Technoblade finally slowed to a stroll, unable to run any further. His stamina was finally depleted. The fatigue bar was at ninety percent, the hunger bar was down to thirty percent, and his thirst meter was dangerously low. Dark edges flashed dangerously in his vision, and the landscape became wavy.

If the hunger and thirst meters became empty, he would slowly start taking damage to his health. This was bad. He still had a long way before he reached those trees growing at the side of that steep mountain. At this rate, he would probably fall asleep on his feet and die from hunger and thirst. He looked at the raw salmon in his inventory and considered it for a moment. Thirty percent of his hunger and thirst meters remained before he started taking damage. If he did not find some alternatives to deal with them before he had the recipe for stone to craft a furnace, he would eat them raw when the hunger drops to ten percent. As for water, it was probably too late to turn back to the river behind him. He simply had to pray there would be an alternative source to replenish his thirst meter.

As the morning sun shone across the meadows, Technoblade saw the first signs of hope. Initially, he thought those leaves on the ground were part of the new world's design. However, upon closer inspection, these 'leaves' were actually bushes with fruits!

In Minecraft, sweet berry bushes could be found all over snowy and spruce tree biomes. They were considered one of the most useless food items in the game as they did not recover much hunger and had low saturation. It was the same with kelp. However, Technoblade was simply overjoyed to learn that his immediate dilemma could be resolved through foraging. Although he had no idea if these berries were poisonous, he would take his chances. General knowledge told him darker berries with bumpy skin textures were usually edible. The berry bush he discovered had a dark blueish-purple hue. It was a good sign that they were edible.

Punching the berry bushes, Technoblade harvested the first berries and prayed that his judgement was correct. If these berries were poisonous, it wouldn't be worth clearing this game. If he found out that he could have prevented his death by reading the complete guidebook, he would give his crown of the potato king to Squid Kid.

Eating in Aftercraft was very different from eating in Minecraft. As soon as Technoblade tried to put the item into his mouth, a system message appeared. He finally knew the name of the unknown berry he was about to consume.

[You are about to consume the item [Juicy Berry]. This action cannot be undone. Do you still wish to proceed?]

Looking at the image of the Juicy Berry, Technoblade read the description and noticed it was an item that could recover both hunger and thirst, although only by a little. To him, that was the greatest discovery. No, it wasn't the Juicy Berry. The fact that Aftercraft had a system dedicated to assisting him in his new world was huge.

"Of course, I would eat it!" Technoblade laughed and maxed the number of berries he could consume using the "+" option beneath the question before selecting the [Yes] option. Automatically, the Juicy Berries he harvested disappeared from his inventory, but the darkened edges of his vision and unstable landscape disappeared.

With enough energy to continue his journey for sticks, Technoblade paused and looked at the field he was in. The salmon can be cooked later. However, there was no guarantee that he could easily get access to water once he left this field of berry bushes. Hence, he decided to deviate a little from his goal and collected as many berries as possible.

After collecting 64 berries, Technoblade half expected the next berry he collected to fall into a new inventory slot. However, it did not.

"Is there a limit?" he wondered aloud. The berries were continuously regrowing whenever he harvested them. All he had to do was make a round, eat some and come back to see newly regrown Juicy Berries waiting for him to harvest. They were honestly a great source of food and water.

Branching off a little, Technoblade discovered that even after a hundred and fifty berries, his inventory did not implode from the quantity. It must be a big inventory limit for items to continuously stack with no physics to restrain it. Half a day had passed doing this grind for berries. Technoblade wondered if he should continue until that number reached the heavens. However, he decided against it eventually. It was a waste of good daylight.

Just as he wanted to take another step towards the trees on the side of the huge mountain, his vision darkened, and Technoblade lost all control of his new body.

"What's happening?" he wondered.

As his vision blinked and faded, Technoblade caught sight of a new system notification similar to the one that informed him about the Juicy Berry.

[Player's Fatigue has reached maximum capacity. The system has activated compulsory sleep mode until the fatigue has been restored completely. Good night.]

Crap!

Technoblade lost control of his new body, so he could only pray that he would not die of thirst and hunger by the time he woke up. Considering how sleep saves about 35% more energy than awake, he hoped the half-full hunger and thirst meters could last until he woke up. 

AN: I sometimes live stream writing this fan fic on Youtube so do check out my channel! You can find me by typing my pen name: Destiny Aitsuji.